Bad Batch...Not enough Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PantsOffBrewing

Reaction score
Backstory: I bought some bulk hops a while ago but don't have a scale to meaure them per recipe. I did a couple batches that turned out too hoppy for my wife so I temporarily started using a shot glass to measure my hops (bad idea), I assumed that an overflowing shot glass of pellets was about an ounce of hops and did two batches using that system.

I did an extract batch of Blond for my wife and my first mini mash of Edworts Haus Pale deathbrewer bag style. I dumped the Haus on the yeast cake from the blond when I moved it to secondary last weekend. I tasted both last night after taking gravity readings and they were both pretty bad. They tasted like crappy macro and I think its a lack of hops.

I put a shot glass of amarillo pellets in the blond to dryhop but is there anything else to do like boil hops for an hour and add that juice? or do I just hope for the best and bottle.

I have a scale on order for my next batch, but is there anything I can do to save these?

Thanks,

Jason

wait for your scale and dryhop them.
based on the amount of hop pelets in an oz, I would suspect that your shot glass held about 2/3 an oz.
Weigh the amount of pelets in your shotglass so you know mow much you added.

Dry hopping won't change the IBU's much, but the aroma from dry hopping might help. They make hop extract (called hop shot?), which might be an easy way to up the ibu's at bottling time?

Just an idea.

Another 1oz of hops for dry hopping prob can't hurt. Is this still a young beer? Have you given it enough time to age?

I had an IPA that was wasn't crazy about, threw an herb ball into my keg with 1oz of cascade which helped, now I can drink it! :mug:

The beers are both still young. The blond is two weeks and in secondary thus has been dryhopped, the Haus is 4 days old but has gone from 1.068 to 1.014 as it was on top of a yeast cake so I'll wait to dryhop that one.

Hop Shot sounds pretty sweet, but what is the difference of that vs. boiling hops in water for an hour and adding them? (they don't sell hopshot at my LHBS)

Thanks, keep it coming!

Latest posts

Back