Bacterial Infection? (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjt

Reaction score
I bottled my buddies beer, as he is off on a long business trip. I took a pic of the foam in the primary fermenting bucket before I bottled it.

I helped him brew it and the only thing I can think of that we did different from my two batches was he used bleach to clean his buckets, I used some cleaner from the beer store.

After almost 2 months in the bottles, I opened one tonight. It literally poured foam all over the place, til no beer was left in the bottle (12 oz test bottle), so I wasn't able to taste it. I looked downstairs and the bottoms blew off two of the 22 oz bottles. What was odd was one of the caps sorta got sucked in on of those two bottles....almost like a vacuum....odd.

Is the beer infected? Should I chuck it and save the bottles?

Oh and it was a Honey Wheat Beer or Honey Hefeweizen...can't remember which one he did.

IMG00002-20100107-2042.jpg

IMG00002-20100107-2042.jpg

It looks like it wasn't finished fermenting yet. Looks like active krausen to me. It finished fermenting in the bottles. I think you're lucky they didn't explode. They are super carbonated, that's why all the foam.

2 of them did explode. We didn't do any measurements on this batch unfortunately....still learning :) It was in the primary fermentation bucket for around 10 or 12 days and I didn't notice any bubbling before bottling...unless it was bubbling every 5 minutes or so...didn't wait that long.

What should I do with the rest of the bottles dump or leave them?

2 of them did explode. We didn't do any measurements on this batch unfortunately....still learning :) It was in the primary fermentation bucket for around 10 or 12 days and I didn't notice any bubbling before bottling...unless it was bubbling every 5 minutes or so...didn't wait that long.

What should I do with the rest of the bottles dump or leave them?

Store 'em cold so the yeast goes dormant and stops fermentation if you're gonna save 'em. I'd be careful moving them.

Back