Backup through CO2 line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopheader

Reaction score
So in another thread (about 'passive' carbonation, leaving pressure set and when it equalizes, it equalizes) I mentioned that my regulator was 'hissing and purging' if the CO2 tank stayed ON feeding gas to the keg.

Now I know there was definitely beer going back to the regulator and liquid was coming out the regulator purge valve.

I took it apart and rinsed/dried it tonight. Should I be taking the 'gas in' post apart and cleaning / re-assembling? Or I've heard something about keeping the CO2 a bit higher than the keg itself? But pressure is pressure. If the CO2 tank isn't on, sending gas out, I suppose I might want to unhook the CO2-in line so it can't get back out?

Maybe I need to double-check the poppet on the gas-side.

You shouldn't have beer filled so full in the keg that it covers the gas dip tube. This way, beer won't get sucked back into the line. More importantly, if everything is working right, beer should never get sucked into the gas line...height of the CO2 vs. keg shouldn't matter at all....did you figure out why it's backing up?

Oh wait, are you shutting OFF your CO2 tank, but leaving everything connected? If so, gas WILL leak back out of the system.....past the CO2 tank handle! Your CO2 tank valve should always be FULLY open, (whenever it's connected to a reg), to prevent CO2 from leaking back. If having the CO2 tank turned on causes your reg to splutter, then your reg is pooched.

Yep. You got it--rookie mistake not knowing to leave either CO2 on or detach connector.

Took it apart, washed, dried, reassembled. We'll see, but it was an old freebie so owes me nothing. I guess beer gods don't want me to make stuff without paying "tax".

Back