Backflow Preventer on Regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntsman

Reaction score
Do I need some sort of backflow inhibitor on my regulator to keep beer from backflowing into regulator when I turn off pressure? Or does my pin lock disconnect prevent backflow?

I just picked up some yesterday from US Plastics. They're pretty cheap and look like they'll do the job.

OK. I need help, then.
I've taken my check valve apart and I'm, now, unsure how to put it back together. When I detached the "check valve" from the bottom of my regulator four items came out. I think they came out in the following order.
1. o-ring
2. steel bearing(round ball)
3. spring
4. round plastic gear with teeth (this is the item I'm unsure about)

During re-assymbly, does the plastic gear thingy go in first, then spring, then bearing, then o-ring, or some different order?

I never knew that a check valve could come apart. Nor so easily.

and I was really hoping to see that you have installed a backflow preventer.

247756_300.jpg

OK I went back to the pieces and was able to figure it out by studying them a bit. I then took some pics so others can get it back together.

The first pic is the fitting I pulled off of the bottom of the regulator.

This is looking down into the fitting showing the bearing and the o-ring.
CheckValve002a.jpg

The next pic I have started removing the o-ring and the bearing.
CheckValve003a.jpg

The bearing and the o-ring removed.
CheckValve004a.jpg

Next; looking into the fitting with the remaining spring and (gear).
CheckValve005a.jpg

The spring and the gear removed. It reallyisn't a gear, I'm just calling it that for lack of a better known word.
CheckValve006a.jpg

Next is the gear showing an indent where the spring naturally sets into.
CheckValve007a.jpg

So, to put it all back together, the gear goes down into the fitting indent up. Next the spring followed by the bearing and then the o-ring. I hope this helps someone in a similar situation regarding a check valve attached to a tap-rite regulator.

Wow. Thanks for that. 1) glad you got it worked out. 2) you went from questioner to good information provider in the same thread!

OK I went back to the pieces and was able to figure it out by studying them a bit. I then took some pics so others can get it back together.

The first pic is the fitting I pulled off of the bottom of the regulator.

This is looking down into the fitting showing the bearing and the o-ring.
CheckValve002a.jpg

The next pic I have started removing the o-ring and the bearing.
CheckValve003a.jpg

The bearing and the o-ring removed.
CheckValve004a.jpg

Next; looking into the fitting with the remaining spring and (gear).
CheckValve005a.jpg

The spring and the gear removed. It reallyisn't a gear, I'm just calling it that for lack of a better known word.
CheckValve006a.jpg

Next is the gear showing an indent where the spring naturally sets into.
CheckValve007a.jpg

So, to put it all back together, the gear goes down into the fitting indent up. Next the spring followed by the bearing and then the o-ring. I hope this helps someone in a similar situation regarding a check valve attached to a tap-rite regulator.

Wow. I have 2 Tap-Rites and non of mine have that. Not that I care because I have checks on my gas rail. Is your reg old? Or new?

Many thanks for posting those pics. They showed up for me when I previewed my post but did not when I posted.
I assume the reg is old as it was a donation from a friend who owns a restaurant.

Back