Back Sweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkMagneto

Reaction score
I have a batch of Cider currently fermenting with Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast. I was planning on letting it ferment all the way dry, then stabilizing it with Potassium Sorbate, then back sweetening and kegging.

My question is how much to back sweeten and what to sweeten with? Should I just use some Apple Juice concentrate? Some regular juice? Any sweeteners?

Any suggestions on what you guys have used in the past is welcome. Haven't really done much Cider making so I'm pretty new at this stuff.

Cheers!

Mark

This is totally dependent on what you like. We like DRY cider and don't add any sugar to most of ours, drinking it totally dry: SG < 1. We also make cranberry cider and that comes out a bit tart and needs some sugar. (We use standard table sugar) After taste testing a couple of batches where we would take a 8 oz sample and add sugar a gram at a time, taste, and repeat, we decided that 7-9 grams/liter is about right for that recipe. It's not noticeably sweet, but the tart edge is gone.

Your preferred level of sweetness in your cider will be different. The good news is that you can make exactly what you like.

Any idea how sweet stevia or xylitol is compared to white sugar? How does it effect S.G. compared to white sugar?

I don't know, but I want to. That will have to include taste comparisons though

Any idea how sweet stevia or xylitol is compared to white sugar? How does it effect S.G. compared to white sugar?

I cooking and baking, usually you use the same measurements as you would sugar. I have no idea the impact on SG, it depends on what the yeast needs out of the sugar compound to make alcohol and produce CO2 I suppose. Not being a chemist...I have no idea.

If you're kegging I'd recommend adding a can or two of apple juice concentrate to back sweeten. I usually only add one for 5 gallons with cider that has fermented dry.

I use Xylo Sweet (Xylitol) and I find it just a hair sweeter than table sugar. No aftertaste, which is great. About 3 tablespoons per gallon works for me, that's semi-sweet. As far as the effect on SG - I've never measured it. I understand it has no effect, or could actually lower the SG because it's a "sugar alcohol".

I think I'll do an experiment...

Just as an FYI for the cider community -

I measured a sample of Xylo Sweet. Two level teaspoons in 12 oz of water read about 1.008. The same amount of white table sugar measures exactly 1.010.

Any chance we could get that measured by weight? and does Xylosweet contain any fillers? or is it pure xylitol crystals

That's a nice scale, I splurged after Christmas to get myself a scale that would measure tenths of a gram. But hundredths is neat, but probably outside of what I was willing to pay.

Sure beats the kitchen scale. Thanks

I just kegged 5 gal. I back sweetened with a 1/2 cup Xylitol. Not too much. I'll see if it's enough in a couple months.

I tried but it was very bubbly with starsan foam. I guessed 1.004 but it's prob. closer to 1.002. Not sure if S.G. Xylitol is the same as S.G. Sugar.

Back