Back sweetening with Cider with preservatives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexmkuyper

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting my first cider. I really like dry cider, but not the .998 FG dry that my cider got down to. I want to back sweeten a little bit (in the keg). Instead of sorbating my cider, can I add cider that has preservatives in it from the store? The brand of cider that I used comes in both forms, preservative and preservative free so I was hoping I could just use the same brand for sweetening. Cheers!

I do this every year when I make my Fall cider. I usually backsweeted 4-gallons of fermented cider with 1-gallon of sweet cider.

The preservatives won't stop fermentation. They will just slow it down. Since you're kegging, you need to backsweeten, then chill the keg immediately and keep it cold. The cold will pretty much halt fermentation so you can enjoy the cider. I've had it sitting in a keg for months without an issue.

Back