Back sweetening question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaktheman

Reaction score
I was thinking about ways to back sweeten and thought of using FAJC and vodka to sterilize it. Anyway I was wondering if anyone here has tried this and if it would work? Either this or another way to back sweeten.

I keg and have back sweetened with FAJC as it is an easy adjustment to get to where SWMBO likes the cider sweetness level. No vodka, just used it straight from the can. In my limited number of batches (three) I've never had a problem.

I'm a little worried about fermentation kicking back up as well. That's another reason I was considering adding vodka.

I'm a little worried about fermentation kicking back up as well. That's another reason I was considering adding vodka.

Fermentation will start up if yeast eat the sugar. Sterilizing the FAJC with vodka won't kill the yeast. you'd have to get your alcohol over 20% to kill the yeast, depending on the kind of yeast you used.

And the concentrate should be sterile already, otherwise, everyone's juice would ferment (when they didn't want it to).

So the vodka is not necessary, but if you add sugar (FAJC) to fermented cider with yeast still in it, it will re-ferment unless it is refrigerated. Time and chemicals will kill or remove the yeast.

Back