Back sweetening and using an airlock.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The forager

Reaction score
I would like to back sweeten by kombucha but instead of worrying about bottles exploding due to carbonation, would fitting an airlock to the bottle work?

Using an airlock will prevent the bottles from exploding, but you lose all the CO2 from the secondary fermentation that back sweetening will cause. As a result, your kombucha will not be carbonated.

Using an airlock will prevent the bottles from exploding, but you lose all the CO2 from the secondary fermentation that back sweetening will cause. As a result, your kombucha will not be carbonated.
Ah I see. Makes perfect sense. Thank you.

If you're looking for a less acidic booch just bottle it when it has some sweetness to it and put it in the fridge rite away. It will carb up slowly and you'll know how fast they should be consumed by drinking one a day. Mine are sometimes in there for a month and are very fizzy.

Back