Back on the Train

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm writing this on the commuter train into the city, the first time I've taken it in over a month.

On the one hand, its pleasant - I can relax, browse HBT, read. And it's better ecologically and for metropolitan area planning and quality of life.

On the other hand, it takes me twice as long as driving. It's more expensive than the cost of gas.

Tonight, my wife will be driving downtown and meeting me at an art-movie theater to see something she wants that isn't at the megaplex - hence the train today.

So, what do you think? I've got two bad choices:

1. Selfish bastard - drive because its easier, even though it adds to urban congestion, pollutes, and increases our dependence on oil

or

2. Martyr - spend more time commuting and pay for it, but be a better civically minded citizen.

I know the best solution is to live near where you work, which isn't possible at the moment.

I wouldn't recommend being a "martyr," but don't under-estimate the value of being able to relax, read, take a nap, etc. Also, gas isn't the only cost for your car. The miles add wear and tear.

Keep in mind that driving downtown, you're also paying out the nose for parking. That alone evens out the cost of the train ticket for me.

Back