B.I.A.B brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishwhiskey

Reaction score
I just got finished reading Mitch Steels book on IPAs and he mentioned adding your bittering hops straight to the mash. HAVE any BIAB brewers attempted this? Thoughts!

I just got finished reading Mitch Steels book on IPAs and he mentioned adding your bittering hops straight to the mash. HAVE any BIAB brewers attempted this? Thoughts!

I'm inclined to side with those who believe this to be a waste of hops in most cases, but with BIAB you can keep the hops outside the grain bag and keep them for FWH and boil. One addition, multiple purpose .. I plan to do this on my next batch of IPA.

I'm inclined to side with those who believe this to be a waste of hops in most cases, but with BIAB you can keep the hops outside the grain bag and keep them for FWH and boil. One addition, multiple purpose .. I plan to do this on my next batch of IPA.

thanks i wasn't to sure i figured i would give it a try since i will be making a very hoppy pale ale (probably:tank: end up as an IPA we will see) with all Galaxy hops

thanks i wasn't to sure i figured i would give it a try since i will be making a very hoppy pale ale (probably:tank: end up as an IPA we will see) with all Galaxy hops

Excellent, I'm doing the exact same thing for my next brew! Just got in 1lb of Galaxy from Yakima Valley.

:mug:

Here's about what I plan to do, I may still change some stuff before brew day.

Target OG: 1.069

The Grain Bill
90% 2-Row USA 6657 grams = 14.68 pounds
4% ViennaMalt 296 grams = 0.65 pounds
3% HoneyMalt 222 grams = 0.49 pounds
3% CaraPils 222 grams = 0.49 pounds

The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)

41.8 IBU Galaxy(Mash/FWH) Pellets (14.1%AA) 31 grams = 1.093 oz at 90 mins (First Wort Hopped)
8.8 IBU Galaxy Pellets (14.1%AA) 7 grams = 0.247 ounces at 60 mins
6.8 IBU Galaxy Pellets (14.1%AA) 7 grams = 0.247 ounces at 30 mins
28.4 IBU Galaxy Pellets (14.1%AA) 62 grams = 2.187 ounces at 0 mins (20min hot whirlpool before chill)

3oz Dry Hop (Galaxy 14.1%) for 10 days, in primary.

That looks tasty I'm using Munich and crystal 40 instead of the vienna and honey my percentage are about the same as yours thanks for sharing

I do first wort hopping with BIAB, but I wait to add them until I'm done with the grain bag in the kettle (I do my sparge/bag squeezing in a separate bucket). Otherwise, the hops stick like crazy to the outside of the grain bag.

I do first wort hopping with BIAB, but I wait to add them until I'm done with the grain bag in the kettle (I do my sparge/bag squeezing in a separate bucket). Otherwise, the hops stick like crazy to the outside of the grain bag.

Cool thanks for the pointers

Interesting, I'm going to have to try this out in my s/s BIAB basket. Would the hops influence your mash PH?

According to Mitch Steele "the hops longer contact time with the wort at the higher pH increases utilization, which results in higher bitterness lvls" my bittering IBU's went from 30 ibu's at 60 min to about 33 ibu's at first wort and he also says it can help reduce foaming during the beging of the boil

Latest posts

Back