(B.E.E.R. Act) Contact your U.S. rep!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsterc

Reaction score
Here's a letter I wrote to my senator in support of the Brewers Excise and Economic Relief Act (B.E.E.R. Act):

Dear Senator Durbin,

I just wanted to let you know I'm very much for the Brewers Excise and Economic Relief Act (B.E.E.R. Act) as I just started a small brewery here in Murphysboro, IL. It will surely help the many small craft breweries across America, the breweries that keep jobs here in the USA and keep their profits and investments here in the USA, the breweries that are 100% USA made and 100% USA owned.

Bud, Miller, Coors can't say that any more!

Thanks for your support,

Chuck Stuhrenberg
Big Muddy Brewing

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
-Benjamin Franklin

The quote in your signature is a misattribution that should not be propagated. What Benjamin Franklin actually wrote was:

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."

I agree that the sentiments and the fact that you are writing your reps is great however you should not misquote people. That is maybe the single largest misquotes quote of all time. However, Dirty Dick is such an idiot maybe he won't notice ;)

http://www.beerinstitute.org/tier.asp?bid=108
Cosponsor H.R. 836 The Brewers Excise and Economic Relief Act of 2009

As Congress and the Obama administration deliberate over how best to stimulate the economy, increase revenues, and focus on incremental, positive change, the beer industry asks you to consider supporting a bill that captures these priorities; H.R. 836 introduced by Congressmen Pomeroy and Latham.

Now is the time to provide tax relief to the businesses and people that make up the U.S. beer industry and consume its products. The current federal excise tax impairs the ability of brewers, importers, and wholesalers to create high-quality domestic manufacturing and service jobs in the United States. It is also a highly regressively tax on low- and middle- income workers.

Lower and middle-income Americans constitute the majority of beer drinkers in U.S. and are disproportionately affected by the federal beer excise tax. Taxes on beer at all levels of government add up to more than $36 billion – over 40 percent of the total retail price paid. Approximately 50 percent of all beer purchased in the U.S. is by consumers with household income of $50,000 per year or less, resulting in a 6.5 times greater impact of excise taxes on households in the lowest income brackets than on those with the highest incomes.

The U.S. beer industry pays more than $3.6 billion in excise taxes to the federal government alone each year. Economic relief in the form of beer excise tax cuts will help sustain existing jobs that provide good wages and benefits in a wide range of blue and white collar occupations. Tax relief is also a key investment tool for the future of domestic production. Facility improvements and equipment purchases further benefit communities and expand employment.

The U.S. beer industry, comprised of large and small brewers, beer importers, and beer distributors, provides nearly 138,000 high-quality, well-paying jobs in every congressional district in the country. Our employees earn more than $9.6 billion in wages each year along with solid benefits. These companies operate more than 4,800 facilities, including breweries and warehouses, across the country. The economic impact of the brewing industry in each congressional district is available at www.beerservesamerica.com.

At a time when manufacturing operations continue to move overseas and critical sectors of the domestic economy struggle, the American beer industry remains a positive economic force. The beer industry helps support more than 1.7 million jobs in this country, and beer sales are an important contributor to the success of over 520,000 restaurants, convenience stores, pubs, supermarkets, and other retail establishments. The total direct and indirect economic activity is valued at nearly $190 billion each year.

To cosponsor H.R. 836 please contact Diane Oakley in Congressman Pomeroy’s office at 225-2611 or Aaron Burnett in Congressman Latham’s office at 225-5476.

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

A BILL
To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to reduce the tax on beer to its pre-1991 level, and for other purposes.
  • Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
  • This Act may be cited as the `Brewers Excise and Economic Relief Act of 2009'.
SEC. 2. REPEAL OF 1990 TAX INCREASE ON BEER.
  • (a) In General- Paragraph (1) of section 5051(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to imposition and rate of tax on beer) is amended by striking `$18' and inserting `$9'.
  • (b) Effective Date- The amendment made by subsection (a) shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act.
SEC. 3. TAX RELIEF FOR SMALL BREWERIES.
  • (a) In General- Subparagraph (A) of section 5051(a)(2) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to a reduced rate of tax for certain domestic production) is amended--
    • (1) by striking `$7' in the heading and inserting `$3.50', and
    • (2) by striking `$7' in the text and inserting `$3.50'.
  • (b) Effective Date- The amendment made by subsection (a) shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act.

Here's a letter I wrote to my senator in support of the Brewers Excise and Economic Relief Act (B.E.E.R. Act):

Dear Senator Durbin,

I just wanted to let you know I'm very much for the Brewers Excise and Economic Relief Act (B.E.E.R. Act) as I just started a small brewery here in Murphysboro, IL. It will surely help the many small craft breweries across America, the breweries that keep jobs here in the USA and keep their profits and investments here in the USA, the breweries that are 100% USA made and 100% USA owned.

Bud, Miller, Coors can't say that any more!

Thanks for your support,

Chuck Stuhrenberg
Big Muddy Brewing

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
-Benjamin Franklin

Why'd you have to wait till I moved from Carbondale?

I agree that the sentiments and the fact that you are writing your reps is great however you should not misquote people. That is maybe the single largest misquotes quote of all time. However, Dirty Dick is such an idiot maybe he won't notice ;)

Wow. Beer can't even bring people together anymore. That's pretty sad.

Oh come on. A good natured rib is always called for. No matter what side of the isle you are on. Feel free to make fun of the idiots running the GOP if it makes you feel better.

That quote is just a peeve for me.

I think the bill is a good idea.

All of Washington D.C. is filled with damn fools, they wonder why our economy is failing. They need to relieve everyones tax burden, and especially small businesses. They wonder why all these big businesses move to China, Mexico, etc. They have made it very undesirable to conduct business in the US, fools, they all need to be run out on a rail, except for a select few. I do believe there is a mass awakening happening in this country now, people are starting to become aware of what is going on, the giant that is the american public is opening its eyes. Look out Washington.

I applaud all that contact their reps, no matter what the issue is. Take responsibilty in "OUR" government, while we still can.

A bill to reduce the taxes on alcohol? Yeah right. Alcohol and tobacco are the first things the Feds go after when they want to increase taxes.

I had understood Alcohol was a state issue. As this may releif federal taxes, how will this reduce State Minimum Pricing? Wouldnt the large companies truly find most of the relief as they pay the most federall taxes, but still make the cheapest beer?

Just a thaught.

Off topic...

I do believe there is a mass awakening happening in this country now, people are starting to become aware of what is going on, the giant that is the american public is opening its eyes. Look out Washington.

I don't know what country you are looking at, but I see people trading in their 18 mpg clunker for a brand new truck that gets 19 mpg...I don't think people are "getting it" just yet. They are just taking advantage of the governments poor idea, while everyone else pays for it.

The quote in your signature is a misattribution that should not be propagated. What Benjamin Franklin actually wrote was:

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."

Yes, he said that too.

There has been very much research into this.
Now they say he never flew the kite in the storm.
I don't know, I wasn't there.

I actually got a response on this.

Thank you for contacting my office in Washington, D.C. Discussing critical issues with my constituents is very important to me.

The Brewers Excise and Economic Relief Act of 2009 (H.R. 836) was introduced on February 3, 2009 and will amend the Internal Revenue Code to reduce the per-barrel tax on beer from $18 to $9. Additionally, this will allow for further reduction of the per-barrel tax for brewers who produce less than 2 million barrels annually. This legislation is currently being reviewed in the House Committee on Ways and Means.

From Farmington to Santa Fe and Espanola to Rio Rancho, I have met with many small business owners and understand the difficulties faced at this time. Changes to the taxes on alcoholic beverages require additional sensitivity towards the effects of the tax upon alcohol abuse. I look forward to the recommendations of the committee on this legislation and should this legislation reach the floor, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Once again, thank you for expressing your opinion on this matter. Please feel free to contact any of my offices if I can assist you in any way. My staff and I are very interested in your opinions and your concerns. To find more information regarding current legislation, services I can offer, or ways my office can be helpful to you, please visit my website at: www.lujan.house.gov.

Sincerely,
Rep. Ben Ray Luján
United States House of Representatives
NM-03

...Changes to the taxes on alcoholic beverages require additional sensitivity towards the effects of the tax upon alcohol abuse...
So what the esteemed legislator is saying; is that the government is encouraging alcohol abuse by already having booze taxes too low...

So what the esteemed legislator is saying; is that the government is encouraging alcohol abuse by already having booze taxes too low...

And the response should be that those that abuse alcohol will buy a cheap handle of Skol or McCormick vodka for $11 rather than a keg of beer for $79 (cheapest I can find locally - PBR). Or, if they don't want people to know they buy a pint every day at multiple locations which means the money doesn't matter to them. Tax on beer has little to do with decreasing alcohol abuse among those that truly abuse.

I actually got a response on this.

Thank you for contacting my office in Washington, D.C. Discussing critical issues with my constituents is very important to me.

The Brewers Excise and Economic Relief Act of 2009 (H.R. 836) was introduced on February 3, 2009 and will amend the Internal Revenue Code to reduce the per-barrel tax on beer from $18 to $9. Additionally, this will allow for further reduction of the per-barrel tax for brewers who produce less than 2 million barrels annually. This legislation is currently being reviewed in the House Committee on Ways and Means.

From Farmington to Santa Fe and Espanola to Rio Rancho, I have met with many small business owners and understand the difficulties faced at this time. Changes to the taxes on alcoholic beverages require additional sensitivity towards the effects of the tax upon alcohol abuse. I look forward to the recommendations of the committee on this legislation and should this legislation reach the floor, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Once again, thank you for expressing your opinion on this matter. Please feel free to contact any of my offices if I can assist you in any way. My staff and I are very interested in your opinions and your concerns. To find more information regarding current legislation, services I can offer, or ways my office can be helpful to you, please visit my website at: www.lujan.house.gov.

Sincerely,
Rep. Ben Ray Luján
United States House of Representatives
NM-03

Ok, I'm not a very political person, but I'm putting forth the effort to understand how this all works, and trying to become a little more proactive.

OP sent his letter to his Senator, which led me to believe this had passed the House. Now, looking at your response from your Representative, that leads me to believe that it is still in the House. Does anybody know where this act stands at this point? How do I find out who in the state of Illinois I need to contact in order to support this act?

Ok, I'm not a very political person, but I'm putting forth the effort to understand how this all works, and trying to become a little more proactive.

OP sent his letter to his Senator, which led me to believe this had passed the House. Now, looking at your response from your Representative, that leads me to believe that it is still in the House. Does anybody know where this act stands at this point? How do I find out who in the state of Illinois I need to contact in order to support this act?

This looks like an opportunity to promote one of my favorite sites: govtrack.us. Govtrack lets you keep tabs on specific legislation and/or what your congress critter is doing. By setting up a free account govtrack will email you updates (I have mine set up to send weekly updates) of the legislation/legislators your tracking.

Here is the page for the Brewers Excise and Economic Relief Act

The bill is currently in the hands of the House Way and Means committee which has two members from Illinois; Danny Davis and Peter Roskam although if they are not from your congressional district you should probably also contact your representative as well should it come to a floor vote.

Oh and the bill is simultaneously being considered by the Senate (in the Senate Finance Committee), here is the link so contact your senators too!

+1 on that. Basically saying I'm not supporting this Act but please vote for me next election because I care about the little people. I agree 100% with the Act but have very little hope that it will be passed. They like to pick things that a select few find "questionable" and then tax the hell out of it with the excuse that they're trying to make a better future for our kids or some crap like that. Also, with all of the money that they are spending right now they are going to have to start raising taxes. Tobacco and alcohol are always the first ones to get an increase, so I don't see anyway that they would consider lowering the taxes on either of them. I will be contacting my representative letting him know how I feel on the subject... like I do with many things... and keep my fingers crossed... but I won't be that suprised if this one gets shut down.

I worked in murphysboro for several years, downtown in the building that shares the same block as smyser plaza by the courthouse, sure wish you had beer there then. Make some gluten free beer and I'll make the drive to buy it :mug:

So this "senator" thinks that lowering the tax would increase alcohol consumption? Has he done the math? Taking the tax from $18 to $9/barrel equates like this:

16oz/pint - 128oz/gallon - 31gal/barrel

So 31*128/16=248pints/barrel

$18/248=.073/pt tax that drops to .036/pt

I don't think any breweries are going to pass on that savings to the distributor, or any distributors that are going to pass on that savings to any bars, or any bars that are going to pass on that savings to their customers.

I can just imagine walking up to grab my favorite pint and having the bar tender tell me that it will now be $3.97 instead of the usual $4 because the tax got lowered.

This tax break will go straight into the pockets of the breweries to help grow their business.

I'm all for keeping the tax break under the 2 million mark. The big boys already make enough, let the little guys try to catch up some.

Back