B-Brite mistake.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfpackguy

Reaction score
So, after about a year of meticulous reading and studying, I brewed my first batch.

Brew day went pretty well. Then I racked to a carboy at ~8 days.

While I was at my LHBS picking up a carboy stopper, I also picked up a tub of b-brite 'cleanser'.

Not paying attention, I thought this was for sanitizing and used it to sanitize the carboy (30 min contact time).

This was a new carboy I had just ordered and barely taken out of shipping the box.

Is it likely that my batch is contaminated? Or will b-brite do a minimal job of sanitizing, even though it is a 'cleanser'? Anyone ever used it in this capacity?

Thanks for any responses.

Note: I did not use b-brite in the primary fermentor. I used the actual sanitizer from the kit. Only the carboy , siphon, and stopper were 'sanitized' with b-brite.

From what I understand, and I caution you that I am a novice as well, but B-brite is technically a cleaner, but contains Hydrogen peroxide which will offer some sanitizing as well. My kit came only with B-brite and claims that using that alone will provide enough to make a nice, uncontaminated batch. Having said that, I clean w/ it but sanitize with iodophor. I like the peace of mind. If I had to guess, I think your batch will be fine.

Back