Average yield for a 5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmasterob

Reaction score
My first two batches have yielded 45 beers. When transferring to by bottling bucket I seem to only end up w/ 4 gallons. How much do you guys usually end up with after transferring? Am I leaving too much potential beer behind?

I recommend brewing 5.5 - 6 gallons of wort to yield 5 gallons of finished beer, just scale your recipes up accordingly, your homebrew shop or software (I like beer tools pro) can help you do this.

But your always going to lose some wort during the process, a gallon is a bit high but not unheard of.

I normally get about 2.5 cases from a 5 gallon batch. So your 45 beers from 4 gallons seems about right to me...hope that helps

Giving your beer more time in primary can help as well. I can get a ton of beer off the yeast cake if I leave it 3+ weeks. The cake compacts right down and resembles pudding. The beer comes right off it.

I also brew 5.5 gallons so I can make sure to get 5 gallons in the end. The last one I brewed, I transferred to secondary for a week and filled my 5 gallon secondary up so high that when it came to bottling time, just putting the autosiphon in the carboy made it overflow. It was TOPPED UP!

Of the two (beginning at) 5 gallon batches that I've bottled so far, I've ended up with 45 and 48 bottles. I may have to look into that scaling up bit.

I almost always get 48 bottles out of a 5 gal batch. But that includes about a bottle taken out for gravity reading/taste testing. I usually don't siphon all the way down to the cake though, in order to prevent too much sediment from dropping into the bottles during carbonation.

most of mine are around the 52-53 cake is compact in secondary and get right in and get it It is mine the drains

48 seems to be my average. I probably leave too much in the fementer and bucket to keep out the sludge if that makes any sense. Also my wand dribbles a little, but hey, I'm getting up in years. :mug:

I calculate for 6 gallons at the end of the boil. Minus .5 gallon for break material and then .5 gallons for trub = 5 gallons total.

Back