Autosiphon broke, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistercameron

Reaction score
I think I washed the autosiphon too hot because it's now broken after two uses - snapped the cane hook right off. No problem, though I just made a BierMuncher Bottle Filler (BMBF) that I was planning on anyway.

So here's the question - I've been using carboy caps quite a bit, even for transfer, but I'm displeased with the idea of buying yet another autosiphon after having just wrecked the first without really trying it. What do you guys like better? I see merits to both, though the carboy cap + racking cane seems like a bit of a pain to get the last half gallon of beer without stirring up all the yeast. meh.

Either one is amazing...I think you just made a mistake, don't look at it as a reason to get something else. Then again, now that you don't have one, perfect time to experiment!

I have a 1/2" autosiphon that I just moved over to the sour side of my brewery, and have moved back to using carboy caps (on sanke kegs) and racking canes for transfers. Other than the amount of time it takes to transfer (5/16" tubing vs 1/2" tubing) there is really no big difference IMHO. I like the fact that I don't need to jam something in the neck of my fermenters/kegs to hold the racking cane/carboy cap combo since the cap does it for me.

Back