Auto siphon or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
I only have 5 brews under my belt and have always started my siphons with cooled boiled H2O, haven't had much problem but am considering buying an auto siphon. My only concern is that they don't look easy to clean, I don't want to contaminate any future batch, or spend an hour cleaning a new tool. I need some feedback on auto siphons, are they worth it?

They are great! Only problems I have had are the tubing attached to the racking cane wasn't long enough and I knocked it off the shelf and it broke. I ordered another one the following week.

They are worth it. Not difficult to clean. All you have to do is clean an sanitize like normal. They come apart easily. When apart its like having a racking cane and a wine thief.

Trust me; get an autosiphon. THey are way WAY easier to use than fiddling around with water and suckage and all that other crap. They're easy to clean, just pump clean water through it, then sanitizer, then take the two pieces apart to dry.

To add to the above...when you remove the center cane from the outer tube for cleaning/sanitizing/drying...LEAVE them apart. If you put them back together the sealing gasket can dry in the compressed form.

Also, before assembling for usage be sure you lubricate (wet) all parts with sanitizing solution.

I've had mine for years and nary a problem.

+1000...you need one of these. ;)

Wha?....There are still people that don't have an auto-siphon?...... Just kidding...get one, you'll never understand how you lived without it.:rockin:

Auto siphons are very easy to clean, and even easier to use.They just come apart in a few pieces, clean and slide back together again. They're worth every penny, I think Northern has them for about $9.

If you don't have one, I would recommend the larger version. It is lots faster and just as easy to use. I tend to have more 1/2" ID tubing lying around anyway. I mostly only use the smaller tubing for bottling and (after ready Revy's thread on bottling) I only use about 2" at a time.

I have had an autosiphon from the start, and I love it. Cheap, very easy to use, and easy to clean/sanitize.

DO NOT get your self an AutoSiphon!

The ease of use coupled with the time and lack of frustration involved in getting the siphon started will completely obliterate all of the angst you are used to experiencing with this phase of the process.

What joy you will lose when you no-longer wait for the boil of that siphon water and what time you will save when you no-longer have to attempt the siphon over and over. Not to mention the head rush you will avert givcen that you'll no-longer hyperventilate.

It just ain't worth it. It just ain't the same.

Oh and ;)

DO NOT get your self an AutoSiphon!

The ease of use coupled with the time and lack of frustration involved in getting the siphon started will completely obliterate all of the angst you are used to experiencing with this phase of the process.

What joy you will lose when you no-longer wait for the boil of that siphon water and what time you will save when you no-longer have to attempt the siphon over and over. Not to mention the head rush you will avert givcen that you'll no-longer hyperventilate.

It just ain't worth it. It just ain't the same.
Oh and ;)

Sigh..... there's one in every crowd....... but usually I'm that one! :D

Sigh..... there's one in every crowd....... but usually I'm that one!
Nope. That'll be me. An auto siphon is just more parts to become infected and cause problems. Mine is collecting dust. Racking from a bucket may be the only time it has any value, but I don't use buckets. If you have a kettle or pot, put a ball valve on it. If you have a carboy, get a two outlet cap. Put a racking cane in one hole and force air into the other. I stick a inline sanitary filter in the second hole so that the air getting sucked in as the level drops is clean. Use a little hand pump to pressurize the carboy and get it started.

Someone had to be the voice of opposition. ;)

Edit:
Here's a pump for $2.99
http://www.amazon.com/Inergi-Fitness-BodyTrends-Ball-Pump/dp/B0000AN4NP/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=generic&qid=1236626040&sr=1-5

Last edited by a moderator:
An auto siphon is just more parts to become infected and cause problems. Mine is collecting dust. Racking from a bucket may be the only time it has any value, but I don't use buckets. If you have a kettle or pot, put a ball valve on it. If you have a carboy, get a two outlet cap. Put a racking cane in one hole and force air into the other. I stick a inline sanitary filter in the second hole so that the air getting sucked in as the level drops is clean. Use a little hand pump to pressurize the carboy and get it started.

OK...you can either buy a carboy cap for each carboy, sanitary filters and a hand pump OR an Auto-siphon which not only works in the carboys but also works in buckets and in your kettle with no need to buy and install a ball valve...

OK...you can either buy a carboy cap for each carboy, sanitary filters and a hand pump OR an Auto-siphon which not only works in the carboys but also works in buckets and in your kettle with no need to buy and install a ball valve...

You forgot to mention that an auto siphon is 10 bucks and will last for ages with proper care.

Don't you be talking bad about my auto siphon! I love that little thing. :p

Already have a carboy cap for each carboy (isn't that's where the air-lock goes :confused:).

It only takes one filter. You only use it when siphoning, but if you're fine with letting ambient air into your carboy don't use one. You're already letting air in with your auto siphon if you like it or not. For $4.99, the peace of mind is worth it.

Racking cane: $2.25
Air pump: $2.99

Auto-siphon: $9.99

Yeah, you can use an auto-siphon in your kettle, but it's a PITA. You can get a ball valve from Bargin Fittings for $19.00. Well worth the money. It'll last forever, but at some point it's recommended that you replace your plastic items. Seals wear, scratches and cracks harbor infection. Replace the auto-siphon once and you paid for a ball valve.

Edit:
Don't you be talking bad about my auto siphon! I love that little thing. :p
Nothing against the auto-siphon. Just saying . . .
there are alternatives.
But like I said earlier,
if you're using buckets, your options are pretty much limited to the auto-siphon. :(

Back