Auto Shut Off Disconnect for CO2 Utility Line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaW

Reaction score
I want to run a CO2 utility line off of my kegerator for bottling, pressure transfers, etc. What is the best disconnect that can handle both gas, and has an auto shutoff function so that I can leave the line pressurized (at maybe 5psi) and just connect into it when I need it without opening the fridge and turning the gas on?

I have a utility CO2 line that I use for keg lid seating, purging and burst carbing along with mig welding. I used a T at the low pressure output of one of my regulators with a shutoff valve on each of the two outputs. I shut off the kegerator feed and adjust the regulator to my needs on the utility line. Then return it to kegerator operation when done. Works fine, no leaks. I would think a shutoff valve on a line out of the kegerator should work just the same. BTW, why would the gas not always be on inside the fridge anyway?

threaded-shutoff-valve-61638.jpg

Why not keep the CO2 bottle outside the fridge?

If it has dual regulators, one goes to the fridge, use the 2nd for utility. And yes, those shut off check valves are great!

If you have one regulator, use a manifold or a Wye to separate your 2 channels. Either way, you have full control without opening the fridge.

Why not keep the CO2 bottle outside the fridge?

If it has dual regulators, one goes to the fridge, use the 2nd for utility. And yes, those shut off check valves are great!

If you have one regulator, use a manifold or a Wye to separate your 2 channels. Either way, you have full control without opening the fridge.

That would be great, but the location that the fridge is in its just not going to be possible, well, not unless I want to drill a hole and run it into from the next room... Unfortunately that plan probably wont be SWMBO approved either.

That would be great, but the location that the fridge is in its just not going to be possible, well, not unless I want to drill a hole and run it into from the next room... Unfortunately that plan probably wont be SWMBO approved either.

You got to drill a hole somewhere, isn't it? Maybe I don't understand what you're asking. :drunk:

I was going to run a long, long CO2 line to my keezer on the lower level, and keep the CO2 bottle on the first floor where I brew, keg, and tinker with yeast.

I decided to buy a second CO2 cylinder instead. Gives me a backup at the same time.

You got to drill a hole somewhere, isn't it? Maybe I don't understand what you're asking. :drunk:

I was going to run a long, long CO2 line to my keezer on the lower level, and keep the CO2 bottle on the first floor where I brew, keg, and tinker with yeast.

I decided to buy a second CO2 cylinder instead. Gives me a backup at the same time.

Buy a second cylinder, maybe a paintball size, has been a consideration as well. I had a 5lb from my original kegerator at one time, but I sold it, and Im kind of regretting it now. Having a spare would be nice, as would having something to serve mobile.

My other thought is maybe putting a ball lock post on the back of the freezer? If I mount it there, then I can just slap a QD on it attached to whatever I need. Its a little more bulky, but at least it would seal and I could leave it pressurized with 5lbs or so at all times.

Back