Auber SYL-2362 and Honeywell valve problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazydave

Reaction score
So, I just finished my NG direct-fired RIMS system which incorporates Auber SYL-2362 PID's to control Honeywell VR8200 NG valves.

First, I was having an issue with the relay not closing enough to actually send voltage to my valve all the time, even though it would indicate that the relay was on. So, after a worthless call to Auber, I bought another and it's working now.

However, I'm having a different problem now, but I don't think it's a defect, instead more of just an issue with the configuration of the PID's. Basically, I can auto-tune the PID to a Set Value and it seems okay, but the problem seems to come into play when the PID kicks the burner on for about 2 seconds at a time to try and bump the temp back to where it should be. The short amount of time that it bumps the relay isn't long enough to actually get the burner to light, so my temps start falling slowly and not climbing back up.

I've tried adjusting them as much as I can possibly think, but the problem still exists. At this point I'm most likely just going to turn off the PID function and leave it in on/off mode so I can get my brew done tomorrow.

I have the cycle rate currently set at 30 seconds, but even that doesn't help. Sensor is set at P10.0 for more accuracy, autotune offset is at 0 degrees, Hysteresis band at .3. I've tried messing with the damp constant value (currently at .7), but that doesn't seem to affect it at all.

I'm not sure what else to try at this point... Am I stuck with them in ON/OFF mode? Or do you think I'm missing something?

That's right, you need to use on/off with gas valves -- not PID.

Back