Atlanta Area Group Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm due for some more grain. Wanted to see if anyone else does too, in an attempt to meet Wine Work Shop's 5 or 10% discount. That means we need a total of 10 or 20 bags.

Hey guys,

We're looking to shut this down and get this order in soon so if you haven't signed up at the link above, please do so ASAP so we can move it along. Thanks.

Update:
We are at 13 bags so we qualify for the 5% discount. If we get to 20 bags, the discount will go to 10%. The cutoff for adding to this order will be Saturday. That way, grain will be in before "Teach a friend to brew day", which many here have a brew day planned. Thanks.

We are going to close this round of buying today. Can you ID yourself, please, by replying to this thread, if you signed up on the spreadsheet through HBT and not through Covert Hops?

Thanks.

My (small) club in west GA needs about 4-6 bags. I could possibly get a Wine Workshop order together if there is enough interest. Post # of bags you need.

I'd probably take 10 bags. Depending on what they can get.

eta: and if the pricing is less than their prices listed on their website. Those are slightly higher than I'm getting retail right now.

http://www.wineworkshop.net/wp-cont...-sack-grain-price-list-revised-2014-09-11.pdf

That's what they can get mostly. They can get other things if you ask. Sounds like we can probably get to 20 bags which would get us the 10% discount. It's taken off of the prices in that list. Then they add tax.

Where are you buying retail for less than their regular prices?

Yep, that's what I was looking at. I'm getting bags of Crisp for a little less. And Weyermann for pennies less. I was hoping they had group buy specials that were closer to what it costs them.

Those are good prices though. I just have to factor in when I would get up that way to pick up. And if we need a few more bags I can swing that.

Those prices are without freight. GW 2row is $30/bag on that sheet. add some freight and a little profit and $37/bag for 2 row is right in line.

Where are you buying it this cheap already?

I'm not buying it that cheap. Used to, but those days are gone. I'm buying it just under what they are charging on their sheet. Wine Workshop that is.

Freight would be about $80 a pallet (since they have a distro site in NC now). 42 sacks on a pallet (the most they can do). Total would be $30.90 a sack with freight included. For GW two row. They are only marking it up about 30% with the 10% discount. Which isn't horrible by any means. I'm not bitching, but I can see how it may seem that way.

I'm still in. And I may get more, I'll have to ask around to see if anyone else wants in.

I would still like to know if they would give a bigger discount on even more sacks though. I wouldn't mind getting an order of a full pallet, pay the freight, and get it at cost plus 10%. I know, I'm in a dream world.

[/QUOTE]

I would still like to know if they would give a bigger discount on even more sacks though. I wouldn't mind getting an order of a full pallet, pay the freight, and get it at cost plus 10%. I know, I'm in a dream world.[/QUOTE]

I tried that in the past and they weren't receptive, but it never hurts to ask again.

Freight would be about $80 a pallet (since they have a distro site in NC now). 42 sacks on a pallet (the most they can do). Total would be $30.90 a sack with freight included. For GW two row. They are only marking it up about 30% with the 10% discount.

The price list you posted is not current. The most current one I can find is here: http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/downloads/Champlain 2013 Price Sheets - Updated 2-11-13pdf.pdf

That may also not be current, but even so, at your single pallet example that squeaks into the 2,000 pound window nets a price of 29.50 for GW2row plus $2 per bag freight or 31.50. With the 10% their price on Rahr 2row is $37.17. That's a $5.67 difference, or 18%, not the 30% you arrived at.

In my experience Rahr and GW are about the same price and quality.

Frankly, this is a great deal, also, they don't require pre-payment which is a doubly good deal because they handle the individual invoices and all that. All we'd have to do is place the order. 18% margin is perfectly fair, IMO.

I would still like to know if they would give...it at cost plus 10%. I know, I'm in a dream world.

I think this is certainly a dream. I should also add that we've bought a full pallet I think one time in the history of this thread that goes back several years, and if you ask sfrisby, he'll tell you that organizing that junk is a huge pain. I know I'd pay the slight mark up to 18% for them to handle it and not me.

Sounds like we have at least 20 bags. Do you want to give them a call?

The price list you posted is not current. The most current one I can find is here: http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/downloads/Champlain 2013 Price Sheets - Updated 2-11-13pdf.pdf

Weird, you'd think they'd have an up to date listing on their site. Regardless the penny difference doesn't change anything by too much.

That may also not be current, but even so, at your single pallet example that squeaks into the 2,000 pound window nets a price of 29.50 for GW2row plus $2 per bag freight or 31.50. With the 10% their price on Rahr 2row is $37.17. That's a $5.67 difference, or 18%, not the 30% you arrived at.

My apologies for mistakenly leaving the 10% discount off in my post.

I think we have enough, go ahead an call.

I have not. I've got a lot of crap going on this week. Our club meeting is Saturday, so I'll have a better idea of how many bags we'll need then and get the ball rolling monday or tuesday I suppose. Feel free to call them and get it going if you want to head it up.

I have not. I've got a lot of crap going on this week. Our club meeting is Saturday, so I'll have a better idea of how many bags we'll need then and get the ball rolling monday or tuesday I suppose. Feel free to call them and get it going if you want to head it up.

Roger that. Wasn't trying to steal the lead, just hadn't heard anything. No hurry.

Anyone interested in splitting a bag of honey malt? I like it in spring/summer beers but obviously don't need a whole bag. If enough chime in for taking some, I'll buy the bag.

The Covert Hops Society is putting together a group buy through Wine Workshop and Brew Center.

3-2015 Group Grain Buy

If you would like to participate please

1. list your real name, not screen name, and e-mail address at the top of your column
2. list the number of bags that you want for each type of grain in the row for that grain in your column

We are going to close the order on EOD of 3/31. Please have your orders in by then. On the spreadsheet the prices will adjust when we hit the needed numbers for the discounts.

If you have not done business with WWBC or are ordering something not typical of a group buy they may ask for pre payment. Please make sure that you list your real name and e-mail so they can contact you if needed.

forcera, thanks for getting this going. I just put it into the 10% discount tier. Do you mind if I share this with my club in west Georgia?

forcera, thanks for getting this going. I just put it into the 10% discount tier. Do you mind if I share this with my club in west Georgia?

Not at all.

Just please make sure they list their name and e-mail along with their order. When I talked to WWBC yesterday they did say they may require pre payment if they haven't done business with you before or are getting something weird for a group buy, ie not typical base malt type stuff. It's just so they don't get stuck with a sack of something. I told them we fully understand their reasoning. If they contact you about that please get back with them.

We are going to close the order down at EOD on 3/31. Please have any orders that you want listed by then.

Back