Arrrgh!! Smokey Oatmeal Stout!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirsloop

Reaction score
So the latest batch of beer - Oatmeal Stout accidentally burnt on the bottom. The beer was boiling pretty strange, and I didnt think it was burning on the bottom, but thats because there was nearly an entire layer of scorched sugar on the bottom of the stock pot. I think what happened was my grain bag broke and some of the grains got in the wort. Then it boiled for an hour and it created a sticky goo at the bottom that the sugar stuck to...

So its been a week, the primary stopped, and I just decided to rack to secondary. Its down to 1.014, but there is a burn toast flavor to the beer. I havent decided if Im gonna toss this stuff or not. Its definitly burnt and thats pretty much what you taste when you drink it. :mad:

opinions?

Lol... pass it off as smoke beer :drunk:

I just bottled my belgiun wit tonight too so I have a sampler of that. After a taste comparison... im really leaning towards tossin it. It just tastes like 5% ABV burnt toast.

Burned flavors, like smoke, mellow. Leave it for a month or even two, if you can spare the carboy, and see how it is doing.

Latest posts

Back