Arrrg Autosiphon!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_the_greek

Reaction score
Somebody please help me before I turn my auto siphon into a supersoaker, scratch that, before I take it and smash it into itty bitty pieces!!!! This d*mn little thing will not get a siphon going for me. I have been at this for 40 some minutes, aerating my $90 batch of wine!!! I don't think a wine wip could even get this much air into a wort or must. I need to transfer my hoegaarden after I'm done with this wine so someone please give me some advice as to work this d*mn thing. Did the guys at the LHBS sell me too big of hosing? if they did.....

First time I tried my autosiphon I had trouble. Turned out I just didn't have enough of an elevation from what I was siphoning from over what I was siphoning to for gravity to assist.

When I can't get the siphon started I fill my carboy thief, then quickly put the outer tube of the autosiphon into my carboy, then top off with what is in the carboy thief and then quickly grab the inner siphon tube and start the siphon, I've found more volume in the larger/outer tube makes it easier to start the siphon(and I bottled 2 batches and racked another to secondary tonight so I have some practice with this tactic tonight...) If you have the siphon going and you're getting air bubbles either your tubing is the wrong size and a clamp or duct tape will help or air is getting in at the bottom of the tube where the washer around the inner siphon tube is. When I run into this I just slowly move the inner siphon tube around until I get good seal. Hope this helps and isn't too late:mug:

This past Sunday I siphoned my first batch and had some trouble with it. I do not have the luxury of an auto-siphon, so I simply filled my tubing with clean water, put one end into the bucket (through the racking cane), then the other end in the bottling bucket (the gravity pushes the water in the tube down, causing the beer in the bucket to flow up). It took me about three attempts to get a powerful siphon. My problems were too little elevation and not enough water in the tubing which caused very weak (if any) suction. It's a bit of a pain in the neck to pour the clean water into the siphon tubing, but I think it's an effective alternative to the auto-siphon. My beer smelled great, and I can't wait to sneak a taste this Sunday.

well my wine went...... interestingly. I had better luck this morning when I threw some laboratory pyrex connectors (clamps basically) over the connecting area of the racking cane and tube. I also found as high as possible a spot that I could find. The beer went very well, hopefully it is going to turn out well. unfortunately the wine cost about 3x more to make than the beer :( I guess its my own fault in someway or another, should have practiced with it a few times.

Next time try pinching the tubing where it connects to the autosiphon's goose neck, sometimes this helps.

Better yet, pitch the damn auto siphon and just fill your racking cane and hose with water! works EVERY time. i threw my auto away after a few months. several years later, not one problem.

Bobby_M said:
Don't blame the auto siphon for having the wrong size tubing. Get some 5/16" and give it another try.
No doubt. Seems like everybody has problems. I've had no issues with mine at all.

I had purchased an autosiphon to accompany my original brewing gear, but since I had too small a diameter of hose, I didn't use it for my first four batches. Then, one day as I read some of the DIY projects on this forum, I read about someone heating up the hosing with hot water to make it more supple. I gave that a try, and after some back-and-forth, got the tube nice and snug on the end of the autosiphon's cane.

Since then, I've been absolutely thrilled with how well the autosiphon works, as compared to filling the racking cane and hose with water (which has always been kind of a mess for me). No bubbling, aeration, etc. Worked great for bottling the apfelwein, as well.

So, yeah. Count me in the voices of support for giving the autosiphon another try with a smaller diameter tubing. Heat the end of the hose by pouring tea kettle water over it, and it'll stretch and be easier to get over the end, if it seems too tight.

Latest posts

Back