Aroma Hops for Irish Stout??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superslomo

Reaction score
I'm doing a full-boil of the Northern Brewer Irish Stout kit, and instead of saving a comparatively useless quarter-ounce of the cluster hops (kit calls for partial boil, 2 ounces of cluster to be added for 60 minutes), which leaves 40IBUs, and style can accomodate 1IBU per point of OG... if I use about 1.75 ounces of the hops, I get the right bittering...

Is it worth saving that 0.25 ounces, or can I pretty harmlessly just toss them in as aroma hops for the last few minutes? I know the traditional style is NOT to have aroma hops, just wondering whether that small an amount will make next to no difference and is in order.

You're right. Aroma hops is not traditional to the style. However, it's your beer to do as you choose. A 1/4 ounce of aroma hops might add just a little more complexity to your beer. The only caveat that I see is that it might battle with the roasty quality you look for in the aroma of a stout.

Alternately, would it just be fair to accept the higher IBUs of using the full 2 ounces... or just do a partial boil?

I'm not trying to mess up the recipe outright, btw, but it seems like a quarter ounce of hops won't be much use for future purposes.

I probably wouldn't save 1/4 ounce unless I already had them targeted for another recipe. In Radical Brew, Randy Mosher advocates dry hopping stouts. But I don't know if Cluster are the best dry hop, or even if 1/4 ounce will be very noticeable.

You could bitter with all two ounces but add at 50 minutes rather than 60 (or whatever...you can run the numbers).

according to beercalculus, I could shorten the bittering boil to 30 minutes. Is there any reason to boil the LME any longer? i.e. if the bittering is done with 30 minutes boil, do I NEED to do any more than that at a full volume?

Back