Aroma Hop Pellets Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damianinpa

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew a small batch (2 Gallons) of beer. This kit came with bittering hops and Aroma Hops. Now, I always have used muslin bags even for pellets as I prefer that, but, most kits I've done were Bittering/Flavor hop that went into the boil. This recipe says to add the pellets at the end of the boil and then cool the wort. So, how would I do this with a muslin bag? Move off boil and then let the aroma hops (in bag) sit in wort for like 5 min. and then discard? I guess my other option is to just throw them in and use a strainer when pouring into fermenter, but, not my favorite option.

I'm getting ready to brew a small batch (2 Gallons) of beer. This kit came with bittering hops and Aroma Hops. Now, I always have used muslin bags even for pellets as I prefer that, but, most kits I've done were Bittering/Flavor hop that went into the boil. This recipe says to add the pellets at the end of the boil and then cool the wort. So, how would I do this with a muslin bag? Move off boil and then let the aroma hops (in bag) sit in wort for like 5 min. and then discard? I guess my other option is to just throw them in and use a strainer when pouring into fermenter, but, not my favorite option.

- Add the pellets at flame out (when you turn off the heat)
- Chill the wort
- Transfer wort to fermenter, leaving hops in the kettle

What he said above.

Just add them at flame out. Whether you use a bag or not is your decision. I add the pellets loose and by the time the wort is cooled to transfer, the hops are on the bottom and what little transfers gets caught in the strainer, and failing that they become trub on the bottom of the fermenter.

Honey Porter. (I'm combining two 1 Gallon kits - doubling everything) German Hallertau Hops 3.5 Grams (Qty 2) which it says to add at end of boil.

To give you a more direct answer, I'd leave them in until you finish cooling your beer... or anywhere in between.

It is sort of interesting to know if the flavor and aroma notes of hops only needs a short steep or not. Lacking input from any that has some experience with doing both short steeping of the hops after the boil and leaving them in longer, I'll nominate you to do some research into it. :thumbsup:

Keep good notes. If you need help drinking the beer then maybe some of us can help.

Once you start cooling your beer you start reducing the extraction of anything from the hops, and the faster you chill the wort the sooner the hops are finished. For an IPA I may leave the hops to cook without flame for 20 minutes before I turn on the water for my immersion chiller, but 5-10 minutes should be plenty for this one. How do you chill your wort? If your method is slow, leave the hops in the bag and take the bag out after 5 minutes.

Once you start cooling your beer you start reducing the extraction of anything from the hops, and the faster you chill the wort the sooner the hops are finished. For an IPA I may leave the hops to cook without flame for 20 minutes before I turn on the water for my immersion chiller, but 5-10 minutes should be plenty for this one. How do you chill your wort? If your method is slow, leave the hops in the bag and take the bag out after 5 minutes.
I chill by putting the kettle in a sink with ice and stir. Usually I can get it cooled pretty quickly. So, it sounds like you are in favor of this method: After the 45 min Boil, move off burner as instructions state. Add hops to hop bag and add to Beer for 5 min. Remove bag entirely and then start to chill the beer as I normally do.

I chill by putting the kettle in a sink with ice and stir. Usually I can get it cooled pretty quickly. So, it sounds like you are in favor of this method: After the 45 min Boil, move off burner as instructions state. Add hops to hop bag and add to Beer for 5 min. Remove bag entirely and then start to chill the beer as I normally do.
That's what I would do, good luck. If it's not enough or too much aroma(unlikely) adjust the time on your next batch

Back