Armadillo hops from Yakima valley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sepanik1986

Reaction score
Has anyone tried these yet? I know they're new as experimental and curious how I could use them. Maybe a pale ale, or smash?

Tangerine/clementine, mmm looks good! If I ever grab some, I'd do a SMaSH first to assess them, then maybe a PA mixed with either amarillo or simcoe.

I've never heard of the Azacca hop they have either. I'm loving all these new varietals that are coming out every year.

I'm just now starting to order lager quantities of hops as I see it's WAY CHEAPER! I saw armadillo and just thought what the neck the name sounds cool. I can wait to try them. I have to make a pils before I make a smash with these though. Any tips for whole leaf hops?

I'm just now starting to order lager quantities of hops as I see it's WAY CHEAPER! I saw armadillo and just thought what the neck the name sounds cool. I can wait to try them. I have to make a pils before I make a smash with these though. Any tips for whole leaf hops?

These hops would be awesome in a Pils...

Anyway I've always heard use 10% more whole leaf hops than you would pellets if that's the tip your looking for...

My tip to you is to consider the water absorption by whole hops. There's really a world of difference with pellets and you may find yourself adding a few quarts more of water than usual, depending on how much whole hops you put into.

While we are speaking on hop tips, what tips do you guys have on keeping bulk hops? Do you break a pound down into ounce increments? Or just use what you need then reseal the rest? Wife just bought a vacuum sealer this past week.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I never thought of the absorption of whole leaf. As for the filtration I just dump the contents of my kettle into my bucket which is lined with a Strainer bag, so all I have to do then is pull the bag. However, I've been wanting to try the experiment of putting everything in and letting it fermentation with all the trub still in there. I read a cool article about it and was quite intrigued I just don't think it would work all too well with leaf hops

I never thought of the absorption of whole leaf. As for the filtration I just dump the contents of my kettle into my bucket which is lined with a Strainer bag, so all I have to do then is pull the bag. However, I've been wanting to try the experiment of putting everything in and letting it fermentation with all the trub still in there. I read a cool article about it and was quite intrigued I just don't think it would work all too well with leaf hops

http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

It does work well, I usually dump everything inside and RDWHAHB.

As for the bulk hops, I just take what I need (quick) and reseal the bag. Between exposing a few seconds of oxygen everytime in the same pack or leaving it wide for a longer time while I seal them individually, I go the fastest and easiest way. Although it may not be the best one, I have good results so far.

While we are speaking on hop tips, what tips do you guys have on keeping bulk hops? Do you break a pound down into ounce increments? Or just use what you need then reseal the rest? Wife just bought a vacuum sealer this past week.

I keep them by the # and pull what I need and then re-vacuum seal the bag back up. Most hops are gone within a few months. Temperature is the real big factor in hop deterioration. I keep them below 0ºF in a vacuum sealed bag. No noticeable change over time.

Damn it...I spent like 130 bucks on that site! For some reason I thought a full pound of these hops is a necessity to my homebrewing life. Man I may have to start having the wife approve all future homebrewing purchases.

Damn it...I spent like 130 bucks on that site! For some reason I thought a full pound of these hops is a necessity to my homebrewing life. Man I may have to start having the wife approve all future homebrewing purchases.

I would highly not recommend that! Unless your wife is cool with your brewing. I get yelled at when I brew once a month. I get the "you just bottled a lot of beer 2 weeks ago" speech every time I want to brew. I don't think she understands the love of beer like me

Eh, shes cool with it. Just doesn't like to let go of money which doesn't hurt my feeling any. I used to think that I was like that however beer has always been my weakness.

Yea, mines the same way. I try to buy hops in bulk that way when it comes time to buy grains and yeast it's not such a huge hit at once. I can't wait to have the capabilities of milling my own grains that way when I want to brew I would have everything on hand

I would highly not recommend that! Unless your wife is cool with your brewing. I get yelled at when I brew once a month. I get the "you just bottled a lot of beer 2 weeks ago" speech every time I want to brew. I don't think she understands the love of beer like me

I have to agree with not making the wife into the approval device. Just get a Paypal Keyboard/Breathalizer Locking Device, so you have to blow zero before you can order anything...

Did all those from YVH come in re-sealable bags?

My 1lb of centennial did but it looks like all others did not.

I'm sure there is a way to reseal them but don't think you can use them in a foodsaver.

All of mine came resealable this time but I didn't notice so I cut half of them at the wrong end. Doh!

Is it safe to use oxygen absorber packets with your hops?

I emailed YVH about the non re sealable bags. They said they can't find good bags that are resealable for the whole leaf 1Lb size.

So as of now, the 1Lb whole leaf and 2oz pellet bags do not come in resealable bags from my experience.

I just finished up a bastardized irish red with magnum to bitter and an ounce of these Armadillo hops at 15 and 5. Going to dry hop with at least 2 ounces. We shall see how it turns out. They smelled phenomenal. Forgot how much beer the whole leaf hops soak up...also figured out that the disposable oxygen tanks are left hand threaded which took longer than I care to admit for me to figure out...smh...:confused: And I wasn't even drinking.

I just got a half pound of Armadillo in the mail today. I'm still not sure what my plans are for them yet though. Probably a single hop pale ale to start. I'll update once I get it figured out.

Is it safe to use oxygen absorber packets with your hops?

The ones I have are labeled food-safe, so I assume/hope so. I put them in with my sealed hops and gasketed buckets of grain. The food safe ones are iron oxide, which isn't toxic, and the pouches are enclosed so none of the rust/iron can come in contact with your hops.

The ones I have are labeled food-safe, so I assume/hope so. I put them in with my sealed hops and gasketed buckets of grain. The food safe ones are iron oxide, which isn't toxic, and the pouches are enclosed so none of the rust/iron can come in contact with your hops.

Where do you find these?

Amazon. I have a Prime account so free shipping.

For Foodsaver bags of hops:
100cc Packets

For storing grain in Gamma seal buckets:
2000cc Packets

Ill have to check these out. i have a couple other bags of hops unopened atm. they might help out. do combine with vacuum sealing or just use them on their own?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill have to check these out. i have a couple other bags of hops unopened atm. they might help out. do combine with vacuum sealing or just use them on their own?

I go both. Toss a packet in a foodsaver bag with the hops and vac-seal it. I think you could also just put an oxygen absorber in, evacuate most of the air, and heat seal it.

Back