Arhhhhhh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkncode

Reaction score
just had to vent, had one of those days...

I was hoping my trashed arthritic knee would behave for the whole week but the cortisone i had put in it two months ago is wearing off. Its was irritated thursday but friday got worse.

It was aching all afternoon at work and i didn't have any of the good pain killers at work, havent needed them due to the cortisone and forgot i had run out at work.

Took twice the dose of paracetamol+codeine as that was all i had and still didn't do a lot.
I know you shouldn't do that with paracetamol but i wasn't planning on taking more so the daily dose limit is fine.

Not fun limping round work and trying to debug software in pain.

Had to rely a lot on the electric assist of my ebike to get me home as my knee wasn't happy to pedal under load.

Got home took the good pain killers and washed them down with a couple of glasses of 5.5% motueka toffee pale ale homebrew from my kegerator :). Its carbing up nice after i shook and vented it a few times the other day to get rid of some accidental overcarbonation and degassed it a s little to far. Now its a nice finger of head instead of 3/4 glass lol.

I really needed the beer after the rough afternoon and I'm sure it helps with pain too.

Now i have to go easy over the weekend so my knee can hopefully become a little less inflamed for monday.

Still going ahead with my bottling of my belgium tripel saturday as its cold crashed and i need to get it carbonating.

A change of plans though i will bottle it in the garage where the fermentation chamber is rather than inside to avoid carrying 23L/6g into the house as one item.
I was considering brewing this weekend too but if i do that my knee will be bad all week as activity seams to build up the annoyance unless i let it rest. Maybe next weekend

Unfortunately my Dr won't put more cortisone in my knee for another month but last time it partly worked upto the 2.5month mark so hopefully it does this time too as i hate relying on pain killers that affect my concentration.

The chemist at one point put a limit alcahol sticker on the pain killers when i first got them.
What a silly statment as no indication of what sort of limit.
I don't have too much interaction but they do make each other a bit more effective.
Not as bad as some other drugs my dr had me on with them a couple of years ago that made me a really cheap drunk. One glass of beer at a xmas party was more than enough.

I guess everyone has to make their own choices and it is your life to live. But you doubled up on one pain killer with codeine - THEN went home and took another presumably stronger pain killer which you refereed to as the good ones. I'm going to guess it a strong narcotic as well. And you washed it down with beer. My family just buried a 19 year old who essentially did the same thing. HE knew exactly what he was doing too . . . Just saying. The problem with pouring alcohol on narcotic pain killers, is not that they make you a cheap drunk. It is that they can have an opposite reaction, and instead of increasing the "drowsy" or down drag effect. then can suddenly and dramatically increase heart rate, mess with respiration, cause agitation and confusion - And in the case of my nephew; cause a heart attack. Tread carefully brother! I have terrible knees - I empathize. But there are better ways than risking your life.

Sorry for your loss.

The codeine+paracetamol in nz is really week like 8mg codeine and ive been perscribed higher doses of straight codeine before along with tramadol.
It was 4 hours since i had that before i took the good stuff

The better ones are tramadol but only took one so had the doses well spread out. Definitly well away from the danger points as I've been at much higher doses so i had a pretty good idea with lots of safety margin but there certianly is risk if you go way over the levels. I only have two or 3 glasses over an evening so with the half max dose not a big risk. Just enough to relax after a frustrating bad day.

Ive been on these for three years since my accident the tramadol i understand as it can also have nasty interactions with some other medication i take so know signs to watch for.

At least all the drugs are labeled limit alcahol and not no alcahol.
My dr knows i homebrew and has no issues as long as I'm sensible.

I certainly never had enough beer in combination with the tramadol to risk upsetting breathing although it is a rish.

I was perscribed oxycodin etc after a shoulder operation and that plus tramadol had way more effect than a few beers and tramadol. I wouldn't have wanted any beer when i was on that as that on its own noticably effects breathing.

The cheap drunk was related to a non painkiller drug but it was labled limit alcahol so i was cautious and stopped at one and figured out best to avoid it with than one but im off that one now.

My correct solution is to take more tramadol capsuals into work on monday so i have them when i need them.

The dr doesnt want to give cortison injections into my knee too often as they cause damage but from my bone break its grinding its self up anyway so at some point i will have the knee replaced.

Latest posts

Back