Are you all alcoholics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They goto meetings. Maybe back when I started years ago I was, but as time goes on it is more about quality. Something nice about coming home after a rough night at work and having a pint in my kitchen and it was made in my garage.

Yeah, the one that pisses me off is the "alone" one. Really? Just because you really like good beer that's been lovingly made you have to wait until someone else is there to share it with you or you're an alchoholic? F that!

To me the "I drink alone thing" was more "I drink in secret" - that is a bad sign...

If the question is "how do you manage to get rid of all the beer that you brew so that you can brew more" than may answer is that there are always a few friends that I can have over that will make a dent in the pipeline. Most of the time it is hard just keeping up enough to keep the hubby and I happy... since we can easily drink 5gal between us a week.

If the question is "Are you all alcoholics?" then the answer is no. I mean just think how statistically unlikely that is.

i had a party on the weekend and for people (all close or old friends) who ran out of alcohol i gave them as much free beer as they could drink, and of course had much of my own. i think that the concept of alcoholism itself is dangerous as it shouldnt be a binary concept like it seems to be in north america. someone who eats fast and heavily processed food with no fresh fruits or vegetables and drinks say.. two 40 oz of malt liquor a week is going to be in alot worse physical shape than someone who enjoys 6-7 litres of pure beer a week (no chemicals, preservatives), is active regularly and has a diet focused on vegetables and whole grains

not to mention people go through periods where amount drunk is different, i was drinking quite frequently the past few months, i have chosen to not drink for a period of time now, and im still just as passionate about making some great homebrews now so i can enjoy them months from now when i want

in short prohibition ruined respectable drinking in north america

They goto meetings. Maybe back when I started years ago I was, but as time goes on it is more about quality. Something nice about coming home after a rough night at work and having a pint in my kitchen and it was made in my garage.

Absolutely. That's one of the primary reasons I started brewing. I've been on a kick of doing everything myself, at home. That includes raising chickens for food and eggs (and of course doing all the dirty work myself), large vegetable garden, hops garden, electricity generation (still working on it), wine, beer, cheese, you name it. I'll be adding different animals this year (probably a pig and a goat).

You can call it romanticizing a past era, but if that's what it is, it's all good. There's something missing in today's processed, always-on, always-ready-to-go world.

But that's another thread, I suppose.

I brew 20 gals at a time as often as possible(twice a month). All my friends drink good beer and if I have a party I can go through alot. I even keep some yellow beer on hand for the unpleasant occasion of running out. If friends of mine need beer for their kegerator guess where they get it from. I never have enough beer. Someday I hope to say that when I own a brewery. Drink-up so you can brew more people.

Crap. I answered yes to one of those questions...

I'm getting a reputation for brewing excellent beer! That's a yes.

I feel terrible after a keg blows. I was fairly sad when the latest batch of Amarillo IPA blew. That was a great batch and it lasted almost 4 months on tap. Great to see how the hopping changes over time.

Damn, yes I do. I also brew, rack, and bottle alone. I go fishing alone as well.

A NO! My efficiency has INCREASED since my first all grain batch. Take that! HA! I'm more efficient now than I was in the past!

I LOVE IT!!!:rockin:

SANTA.jpg

Nah, I just like Christmas a lot!

Alcoholism is the compulsion to drink alcohol despite adverse consequences. It is a disease, like major depression, diabetes, PTSD, etc. It is not measured by quantity, but judged by consequences. If your drinking is causing problems in your life and you are unable to stay away from alcohol or maintain moderation, then I'm sorry, but I would have to give you the diagnosis of alcoholism. As I posted elsewhere, 1-2 per day for guys and we in medicine aren't concerned, unless you have medical problems that your drinking messes with. 3-6 per day is the at-risk alcohol consumption level. Beyond that, the odds climb significantly for adverse consequences from drinking. It is hard for your liver and nervous system to deal with those quantities very often, no matter what you pretend. However, the diagnosis hinges on compulsion and adverse consequences. If your drinking is damaging your relationships, your job, your health, etc, and you keep doing the same thing, then I'm sorry, but you probably have the disease.

A major problem with active alcoholism is denial, only broken when alcoholics "bottom out". Until they do, they will not believe it is a problem. Arguing with disease is pretty useless. Avoiding medical exams to find out if your liver is affected would fit into denial.

If it is not causing problems, and drinking is a risk that we take on without feeling compelled to do so, it is just that--a risk and a choice, not a compulsion. Much of life entails some risk. If we take on that risk with good beer that we have brewed ourselves, rather than wine we purchased, that is our prerogative. If we take on risk eating rich food, or carrying a firearm in the woods, or jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, or whatever, that would be "the pursuit of happiness", which used to be considered our birthright here in the U.S.

I would be happy to put these alcoholism question threads to rest, if I can.

On the one hand, these are my opinions. However, they are given from the perspective of a practicing Internal Medicine physician who previously worked in an addictions recovery program. That's my day job. I will be happy to accept PMs from people who are in doubt about themselves. I can elaborate further if we need a Wiki on alcoholism here, if desired. But not tonight. I have 12 gallons of porter in the primary to check on, and preparations for next weekends brew awaiting me, preparing for my daughter's wedding this spring. And I have a bottle of Paulaner Salvator in the fridge, as I currently have no drinkable homebrew.

Absolutely. That's one of the primary reasons I started brewing. I've been on a kick of doing everything myself, at home. That includes raising chickens for food and eggs (and of course doing all the dirty work myself), large vegetable garden, hops garden, electricity generation (still working on it), wine, beer, cheese, you name it. I'll be adding different animals this year (probably a pig and a goat).

*Note to self: when zombie apocalypse comes, move in with brelic*

Alcoholism is the compulsion to drink alcohol despite adverse consequences. It is a disease, like major depression, diabetes, PTSD, etc. It is not measured by quantity, but judged by consequences. If your drinking is causing problems in your life and you are unable to stay away from alcohol or maintain moderation, then I'm sorry, but I would have to give you the diagnosis of alcoholism. As I posted elsewhere, 1-2 per day for guys and we in medicine aren't concerned, unless you have medical problems that your drinking messes with. 3-6 per day is the at-risk alcohol consumption level.

What are the levels like for women? Approximately what levels do you need to start worrying about physical dependence?

Is that 3 - 6 session beers or 3 - 6 high gravity beers? I would think us HB'ers would be more concerned about consuming approximately 600-1200 calories per day from beer. Oh and brelic, here's your answer to electricity generation if you can only downsize it enough for home use. http://www.yourownpower.com/Power/
I'm getting groundwater reports done for where I live to see what temp it would be and what my flow rate would need in order to be off the grid.

What are the levels like for women? Approximately what levels do you need to start worrying about physical dependence?

Generally, levels for women are about half, as they are for men over 65. For them, moderate drinking is less than two drinks per day. It depends on which source one refers to. In another source, exceeding 4 drinks for men and 3 drinks for women "per occasion" would also be considered "at-risk" consumption.

The levels that risk physical or for that matter psychological dependence vary with the individual. I can't recall seeing a 4 per day drinker go through physical withdrawal. It generally takes substantially higher levels of daily consumption to face physical withdrawal symptoms, at least for guys. I've seen plenty of 6-12 per day guys not have physical withdrawal on stopping. You might see psychological dependence unmasked on withdrawal at these lower levels, but probably not other withdrawal complications.

Standard drinks would be 12 ounces of 5% ABV beer, 5 ounces of 12% wine, or one shot of 40-43% liquor.

Yes.

Seriously, I work at a brewery. If I can't down it, I have many co-workers who really, really like a good beer.

Sorry Off topic but,:off: Jeff my wife and I really do like your company's beer. now back to talking alcoholism;)

I have half a pound to go before weigh-in this Friday. I haven't had a beer since last Wednesday and I'm climbing the friggin' walls. I don't know if that means I have a problem, but I tried sake and Jack and Diet Coke and that didn't cure the jones. I shouldn't even be on this website. I'm dyin' here.

I have half a pound to go before weigh-in this Friday. I haven't had a beer since last Wednesday and I'm climbing the friggin' walls. I don't know if that means I have a problem, but I tried sake and Jack and Diet Coke and that didn't cure the jones. I shouldn't even be on this website. I'm dyin' here.

The good news: What you're describing is a psychological dependency. (not Physiological)

Do something to get your mind off it. Do anything that doesn't involve this site. Being on here will only make matters worse. (Until you slow it down)

we brew beer because we like the process and the self satisfaction of creating something great that we can share with friends and faminly. I would give all the beer I brew away just so I have an excuse to Brew another batch.

If I get to 3 or 4 days like I am now, I really feel the need to get a drink. I think it stems from withdrawal, and I'd like to not have this feeling if it just so happens I go time w/o drinking.

I have gotten good at only having 1 on a weeknight if need be.

All depends on the definition used for "alcoholics." I have been to meetings back while in the Marines after I got caught under age drinking.....So I guess I can say been there got a t-shirt as far as the meetings go.

I define it like this if you have problems when drinking which causes others or yourself harm, perhaps your an "alcoholic." Or if your actions to acquire a drink cause harm to yourself or others, you might be an "alcoholic." <--I see the "you might be an alcoholic if" jokes coming on......

I have a 4 jobs and I provide for my family and I'm a happy drunk when I do get drunk which isn't often. I have a high tolerance so I can drink alot before it phases me enough to be consider "drunk".

I have come with the terms that I have no problem with alcohol and it has no problems with me so I'm not an "alcoholic."

Hope that answers the question enough for brelic.....

Every once in a while I quit drinking for a few weeks. It is only a problem when my friends drink around me and then I want a damn beer. Also, drunk people are annoying when you're sober :D

I haven't had the time to read all the posts so I dont know if this has came up yet. I considir myself as having a brewing problem! I drink the beer so that I have a reason to brew some more.

This also depends on your definition of an 'alcoholic'.

I enjoy a pint or two almost EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. But I rarely (if ever) consume to get 'drunk'

Does this make me an alkie? I dont think so...

And yes, much of my beer goes to neighbors and friends or lasts as long as good as it tastes.

But stoners are much more mellow. At least with a stoner you usually dont have to worry about getting into a heated debate over nothing.

Instead you get into a 4 hour long conversation about nothing, that you don't remember a single WORD of tomorrow. And then you eat twinkies.

But stoners are much more mellow. At least with a stoner you usually dont have to worry about getting into a heated debate over nothing.

No it's more like you want to talk about something and they just wander off.... It's sorta passive aggressive instead of in your face.

Instead you get into a 4 hour long conversation about nothing, that you don't remember a single WORD of tomorrow. And then you eat twinkies.

Id take that over having to spend a night in jail cause I had to subdue some knucklehead who couldnt handle his alcohol.
But I digress...

I love both for different reasons. :)

Id take that over having to spend a night in jail cause I had to subdue some knucklehead who couldnt handle his alcohol.
But I digress...

I love both for different reasons. :)

Oh sure, I think it really comes down to a mismatch in realities, which is hard for both sides. Much better for everybody to be on the same page.

I was feelin alright until I read all this drama about alcohol, now I'm gonna have to drink se veral homebrews

1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
Yes, I called in sick one time after a night of heavy drinking, but I'm pretty sure that had more to do with me staying up til 5:00 than it had to do with the drinking part.

2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
No, drinking seems to improve my home life.

3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
I do drink sometimes so that I feel like I fit in better in certain social situations.

4. Is your drinking affecting your reputation?
No.

5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
Yes.

6. Have you ever got into financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
No, I take very good care of my finances. Women are more likely to make be go broke than alcohol.

7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking?
Not at all.

8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare?
No way!

9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
No.

10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time?
No.

11. Do you want a drink the next morning?
No.

12. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
Yes, occasionally, it is hard for me to fall asleep or get a full night of sleep after heavy drinking.

13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
Yes, sometimes from lack of sleep.

14. Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
No

15. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?
No.

16. Do you drink alone?
Yes, on rare occasions.

17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
I can't remember.

18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking?
no

19. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
no

20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution because of drinking?
no

Based on what I've heard, the percentage of people who never drink again after AA is approximately equal to the percentage of people who stop on their own that never drink again. Somewhere around 5% for both! Basically, AA is pointless.

From what I've heard about AA, the meetings are more likely to have a detrimental effect on my life than drinking ever would. If I had to go to meetings, I'd probably spiral into depression from going through that BS and feeling like I am wasting valuable time that I could be spending with my family and friends.

Back