Are you a Beer snob or connaisseur???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to be careful I have shown my snobness I few times and people call me on it. I once had a party and my cousin's boyfriend asked me for a beer, I asked him what kind and he looked at me dumbfounded as I read off what I had in stock, so I just gave him the lightest pi55water I could find. Later on my uncle called me on it and I felt like such a ******. Oh and I have complained at restaurants that my beer is too cold as well.

I have to be careful I have shown my snobness I few times and people call me on it. I once had a party and my cousin's boyfriend asked me for a beer, I asked him what kind and he looked at me dumbfounded as I read off what I had in stock, so I just gave him the lightest pi55water I could find. Later on my uncle called me on it and I felt like such a ******. Oh and I have complained at restaurants that my beer is too cold as well.

I don't think asking what kind they like is snobbish. Frankly, its quite considerate. You don't know how educated his palate was right? I would have asked the same, if he couldn't answer I'd ask what he likes to drink. Bud, MGD, Heineken, Sam Adams. Then recommend something from there.

I don't know that I'd call being a d!ck a "strength". I also shudder to think you'd be comfortable with not being nice, that you're so proud of being a jerk that you tell us all you love it. Are you really proud of being a jerk, or are you just having us on?

Bob

Some say that The Stig eats monkeys on pizza, and that his urine can be used as paint stripper.

The Stig was not ******, The Stig was hero!!!:mug:

People may think I am a snob, it happens all the time. But my intent is never to belittle or demean anyone. To each is own, as the saying goes. I do however, believe what I believe about what makes good or great beer and have a very firm opinion on the subject. Same thing with food. And there is also a part of me that must keep tradition traditional. What I mean by that is it really busts my button :)D) when people are like "Oh hey try my Tripel" and the thing is like as dark as a Dubbel, Has like 5 malts in it and I'm sorry did I miss something???? The thing is all that would make me happy in a situation like that is to not call it a Tripel! That's what sets me off.

There is good beer and there is bad beer, but when one gets into the whole "I'm gonna label it" well then you've entered the realm of definition. Then by definition I have a big problem when people pervert the definition. It's better to say "I really don't put it in a Style, it's my own creation". Hey if others want to attempt to put it in a box well then let them go. I get the same way with food, for obvious reasons. I'm sorry a friggin Reuben is a Reuben is a Reuben. It originated a certain way and it should stay that way. If I order a Reuben and it comes out with Pastrami, then it ain't a Reuben! Call it something else, don't pervert the definition. It only serves to confuse and contend.

However, I do feel it unreasonable if I walk into a restaurant that they'd have anything other than the standard served in a frosty glass. I am kidding myself. But, if I walk into a place renowned for beer service and they serve me say an Ommegang Abbey in a Pilsner glass @ 40°F, you had better believe I'll call them on it. It's all about context.

... I'm sorry a friggin Reuben is a Reuben is a Reuben. It originated a certain way and it should stay that way. If I order a Reuben and it comes out with Pastrami, then it ain't a Reuben! Call it something else, don't pervert the definition. It only serves to confuse and contend.

Don't be sorry; I feel exactly the same way, about both Reubens and beer.

I think its better to be polite about it I have noticed I can get anyone to drink craft beer with the right approach. I am a salesmen and I just use the same techniques that I would use to sell cranes to sell beer to people.

If people are drinking then half of the work is done for you. I will sometimes challenge them in a very positive way to try a more flavorful beer most will accept my offer. Easing people in with Goose Islands kolsch has been the easiest way to change peoples view on beer. It has been our attitude that has been really driving this market for change. I think everyone here will agree once you start drinking craft beer you will never stop. You may still enjoy a BMC but you will always no what real beer taste like.

I like beer. I like craft beer. I like homebrew. I like mass-market beer. I've even been known to grab a can of malt liquor from the gas station.

While sometimes it's nice to contemplate the mystery of life over a huge imperial stout, sometimes it's also nice to kick back on the porch with a PBR. I am neither beer snob, nor beer connoisseur. I am a beer lover.

+1 to that.:mug:

My name is Jimmy and i'll take what you give me!
Thats my take on it but then again I'm a poor college student:D

I respect all beers and the people who enjoy them. Taste in beer is a personal preference. A beer snob thinks there is good beer (beer he/she likes), and bad beer (beer he/she doesn't like). I think people who drink bud light and think everyone who drinks something slightly darker is gross, is a beer snob.

You know, if you pour PBR into a glass and really drink it, in the right context it isn't that bad of a beer.

Having drunk a lot of them the last two IHL hockey seasons after games in town, on average twice a week, I agree...In fact if you let it warm up a bit, it has a nice bannana/clove ester thing happenning to it.

I explained to my son last night that beer is like steak, there are so many things to add to it to add or enhance flavor, and so many ways to prepare it. But when you get down to it, it is steak, and steak is good.

I explained to my son last night that beer is like steak, there are so many things to add to it to add or enhance flavor, and so many ways to prepare it. But when you get down to it, it is steak, and steak is good.

But there are steak hot pockets and that "steak" is gross.

My wife likes to call me and my friends "beer dorks". That's ok. I call her friends shopping c*nts. I think it's even.

Some say that The Stig eats monkeys on pizza, and that his urine can be used as paint stripper.

Long live The Stig!

TheStig.jpg

I wonder if he likes beer...?

Back