Trying My First Beer - Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JarlHammer

Reaction score
Good afternoon brewers! Now that I have my first mead working through primary, I am looking to dip my toes into making beer. I am particularly interested in Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, as I have a love for dark beer. I have a propane turkey fryer setup that I can use for mashing, but my question is regarding downscaling the recipe. I have an empty 1 gallon fermenter, but it will be quite some time before I make the drive to the closest homebrew store, about 3 hours away, so I don't have the capacity to make the recipe as is. To downscale it, would I simply divide the ingredients by 5? And for the yeast, would I still use the entire packet?

This comes from an article on The Beer and Wine Journal™ — Brew, Drink, and Be Awesome. Scaling Up or Down

When scaling a homebrew recipe within a reasonable range of homebrew volumes, all the ingredients scale linearly. For example, to scale a 5.0-gallon (19-L) recipe to any size, multiply the amount of each malt by the new batch size (in gallons or L), then divide each by 5.0 gallons or 19 L as appropriate. For example, if a 5-gallon recipe calls for 13 oz. of roasted barley, and you want to brew 3 gallons of it, multiply the grain weight by 3 gallons (giving you 39 oz.-gallons) and then divide by 5 gallons (giving you 7.8 oz.).

Scale the amount of hops the same way. If the recipe recommends a yeast starter volume, scale it in this manner. (If it doesn’t use a pitching rate calculator, such as the one at Mr. Malty.) The amount of water you use will roughly scale this way, but may change due to changes in equipment. I’ll discuss little differences in procedures in the two articles (scaling up and scaling down) that accompany this.

Back