Are we sure that Splenda does not fement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to sweeten a too-dry cider and bottle. I want to use splenda cuz I've read numerous times it is a non-fermentable.

Not doubting what I read...I just want to make sure before I load up my spare bathtub with bottle bombs.

I can't find anything concrete to quote, but all signs point to yeast being unable to metabolize the sucralose that Splenda contains.

The studies that show human consumption point to the fact that the sugar has been modified to the point that our systems no longer even recognize it as a carbohydrate and just pass it through.

The primary sweetener in Splenda is chlorinated sucrose. Nothing living can metabolize it. The fluffing ingredients will ferment, but they are a minor part of the sweetening.

Plus, how much are you using compared to the weight of sugars for priming? (ranges around 3 grams/bottle, I think) If it did ferment, I doubt you would notice the difference in carbonation.

Back