Are the Auber pids and RKC (REX) from the same manufacturer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augiedoggy

Reaction score
I have owned one of the many different designs of the RKC rex-c100 pids from china (the real original is made in Japan) anyway I have noticed they auber pids use the same exact enclosures as the RKC and chinese knock offs... and similar front display board as well the same rear connector type. and the exact same retainer ring for the case...
Since the auber brand pids are made in china as well as the chinese clones and the RKc brand pids which used the exact same case ,display board and layout is made in Japan I cant help but be curious of who makes what and who copied who?
No doubt the firmware for the auber units is likely written in the states by Aubrins and possibly even flashed here but the question remained who makes what and who has copied who? obviously it looks as if someone may have copied someone else here or one company is manufacturing for the other? did RKC in japan make a deal to use the same enclosure and connector layout or do they just share the same OEM in china?

Here are some pictured of the auber unit in another thread dissassembled http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?146515-PID-Controller-Gone-Bad.. followed by some pictures of my Cheap rexc100 which states its a real rkc unit made in japan but shipped from china for $20 including a fotek knockoff ssr ,heatsink and TC probe...HMM..(BTW this one does drive an ssr with no modifications needed unlike some found there with completely different boards inside the big realy in my pic is for the alarm output.)

Could it be that maybe both RKC and aubrins just share the same case manufacturer in china and a company there is making many of these knock offs? (different company than the one auberins uses to make the auber pids there.)

IMG_20150303_095705_805.jpg

IMG_20150303_095724_847.jpg

IMG_20150303_100751_161.jpg

Would definitely be nice if we could get to the guts and repurpose / modify / improve

I noticed my clone has the 5 jtag/reprogramming pins on the main board.... It would be cool if someone could write customer code for Fahrenheit like alphaomega did with one of the stc 1000 clones...
Ironically the solder joints on the auber pid look like something homemade and hand soldered vs the clone I have...

I'm sure InkBird has the "in" somewhere along the chain of manufacturing

I'm sure if it were possible to remove 90% of thermocouple types, would free up serious code space for custom apps as well

It's a really great question overall. I have tunnel vision on one thing though...

Since the auber brand pids are made in china.

I've spent some time in the past couple months trying to make some kind of determination on where they are built. My suspicion is that you are right that they are made overseas (because why wouldn't Auber flash a big giant "MADE IN THE USA" sign next to all their PIDs if they were?). But, I can't find any evidence of that or where the source of this idea came from aside of a forum post from someone else saying that they're Chinese.

That question aside... the most likely scenario is that the two companies just use the same Chinese OEM, like you said.

It's a really great question overall. I have tunnel vision on one thing though...

I've spent some time in the past couple months trying to make some kind of determination on where they are built. My suspicion is that you are right that they are made overseas (because why wouldn't Auber flash a big giant "MADE IN THE USA" sign next to all their PIDs if they were?). But, I can't find any evidence of that or where the source of this idea came from aside of a forum post from someone else saying that they're Chinese.

That question aside... the most likely scenario is that the two companies just use the same Chinese OEM, like you said.

Yes very likely...especially since I have been able to find most of the exact same products they are selling from chinese sellers at about 1/2 the cost...
One of the most common American business models today is to take an existing overseas product and modify its appearance and sometimes even functionality and resell it as their own... of course that assuming that the american company didnt design or at least have a hand in designing the product in the first place before handing it over to chinese manufacturing to be cloned...

The photos of the sloppy solder joints in the auber ones indicate they were very likely done by chinese workers vs machinery since its they are cheaper there.

.. the most likely scenario is that the two companies just use the same Chinese OEM, like you said.

I just broke apart my rex-c100 and checked the chips on there... its an 8051 cpu (MegaWin MPC89E52) with in circuit programmable capabilities, suppose it's time to break out my old 8051 compiler, see if I can do anything with it. MegaWin do appear to have a real nice ISP-ICP programming device ( http://www.megawin.com.tw/megawin_EN/D_DownloadShow.asp?ID=9 )

I just broke apart my rex-c100 and checked the chips on there... its an 8051 cpu (MegaWin MPC89E52) with in circuit programmable capabilities, suppose it's time to break out my old 8051 compiler, see if I can do anything with it. MegaWin do appear to have a real nice ISP-ICP programming device ( http://www.megawin.com.tw/megawin_EN/D_DownloadShow.asp?ID=9 )

curious does your rex c100 have the same guts as mine or is it the very different style I have seen in youtube videos? I have to laugh at the big MADE IN JAPAN written on the side of mine... why sell them out of china for basically $10 then?

Yes very likely...especially since I have been able to find most of the exact same products they are selling from chinese sellers at about 1/2 the cost...
One of the most common American business models today is to take an existing overseas product and modify its appearance and sometimes even functionality and resell it as their own... of course that assuming that the american company didnt design or at least have a hand in designing the product in the first place before handing it over to chinese manufacturing to be cloned...

The photos of the sloppy solder joints in the auber ones indicate they were very likely done by chinese workers vs machinery since its they are cheaper there.

Yeah, that might be right. PIDs are also the pinnacle of what they do. Another very common business model is to sell your premier product at a premium, and then relabel the import "accessories" (SSRs, probes, etc) as your own and charge a premium on those too. So that could be as well

The Mager SSRs are my favorite example of that :)

Minor update:

2 separate c100's, apparently different layout BUT at least the display board is wired the same way and would drive the same way.

Primary difference between the 2 pid's is the actual cpu being used (both do allow ISP programming)

Next step - need more time :)

Minor update:

2 separate c100's, apparently different layout BUT at least the display board is wired the same way and would drive the same way.

Primary difference between the 2 pid's is the actual cpu being used (both do allow ISP programming)

Next step - need more time :)
some new developments that Brumateur mentioned today that might bear mention....https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/p...12-vs-syl-2362-strip-show-476122/#post6791716

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ature-Controller-XMT612/209587_598878204.html

Oh, I can also confirm that the myPin TA7 DOES NOT use the same display / keyboard components

Good to know, I kinda figured that too but in the links above that's not a mypin hes comparing... its the xmt612 which is and auber clone with the same menus and possible the same software code.. look at the links and pics again the xmt612 is identical to the analog auberins unit as far as boards go and they are $25 shipped!

let me play with current c100's , then i'll move to auber and copies :)

If you want a ISP programmer, can send you one to play with.. pm me address info

let me play with current c100's , then i'll move to auber and copies :)

If you want a ISP programmer, can send you one to play with.. pm me address info

I wouldnt even know what to do with it. :) .. I flash others codes to devices all the time but have never written or modified anything myself. short of modifying a few settings in the text form on my old GPS.
Thanks though, I hope you make some progress.

Back