Are regulators waterproof

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
I have a co2 leak somewhere. I have a dual gauge regulator and all the connections that are brand new (with used kegs). It is somewhere before the kegs which hold pressure. Just wondering what I can dunk under water to look for bubbles? Or would it be better to use soapy water sprayed on things? It can go through a 5# tank in a day so I am assume it should be fairly easy to spot the problem.

Thanks

I was going to start with the soapy water, but having never worked with these before I am not sure what I will see or the best way to start. I will check the rings. I hope everything is ok being new. I have seen pics of others setups and have noticed a few had that white plumbers tape in some of the connections. Hopefully I can spot something and tighten, tape, or replace it to get this thing in use.

Not sure if you bought a kit or put it together yourself. I bought two kits from a respected online company but found the connections were only hand tightened.

Not sure if you bought a kit or put it together yourself. I bought two kits from a respected online company but found the connections were only hand tightened.

Bought a kit. Will check that first.

I think you could get away with submerging the regulators - but not the gauges...

Cheers!

Makes sense. I am hopeful it will be the connections. The good thing is with the regulator valves closed it holds and the kegs by themselves hold so I think I am good overall, just need to track down the stuff between. Fortunately I have some of that white tape from a past project if needed.

Thanks again. I bought it several months ago because it was on sale with free shipping. Just getting to the point where I want to start using it.

So if I'm understanding your comment above, the leak sounds like it is at the point where the regulator attaches to the tank valve. Either that or you have a bad regulator. It should be an easy fix if you've already traced it. I'd start by tightening the regulator to the tank. You shouldn't use Teflon tape here. Make sure you have an o-ring and tighten the crap out of the regulator. I don't think it can be too tight.

I would recommend visiting with your local welding / gas supplier hardware store and ask who repairs regulators. My last regulator was checked out for $15.00.

I'd imagine that with the regulator under pressure, no water would get into it, but I personally wouldn't risk it.

Thanks all. I connected everything and put it in a 7.9 gal ferment bucket and filled with water to just under the regulator. It was the connections at the end (that connect to the keg). Was an easy fix. I assume the tap side of things will need a tightening as well which I will do when I get ready to use it. I am force carbing right now.

Back