Are my grains and yeast still usable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pineknot

Reaction score
About six months ago I bought some items in bulk. Most of the items have been used except a couple items. I have ~14.5 lbs. of crushed grain and a vile of whitelabs yeast that I have not been able to use. Question is, are they still usable? I know ingredients should be as fresh as possible so I'm not sure if I should use this stuff.

If the grain has been stored in a cool dry place they should be fine. The yeast on the other hand... Depending on the date on the vial, you may be able to do a starter and bring it back if it isn't too old.

How have they both been stored?

If it has been in the fridge, the yeast would be fine with a starter. If the grain has been protected from too much air/moisture/insects it could still be used. Eat a handful of it and see if it tastes stale.

You can probably use the grains although it won't taste as good as freshly crushed grains. Easy way to tell is to take a pinch of the grain and eat it. If it tastes ok (no sour or moldy flavors) you should be able to brew with it. If it tastes rancid, toss it or feed it to the hogs.

Now, the yeast. It depends on the date on the vial. Check the vial for the "best if used by" date on it (for White Labs). Being that's it's at least six months old and probably older, you'll probably have a lot of lost viability on the vial itself. I would create a stepped up starter out of it and pitch the starter in your beer rather than just pitching a single vial of very old yeast. If that sounds like a PITA, get some fresher yeast from the LHBS.

Thanks for the input! This gives me a reason to try a yeast starter. I've never made one but Ive been wanting to.

Back