are my bottles going to go boom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenryals

Reaction score
Brewed an All grain Pliney the Elder clone..

it was a big boil, and the hops didn't absorb as much as I though they would, so I ended up with 6.5 gallons..

Racked over to secondary after 13 days in primary, and i had (obviously) 1.5 gallons left.

So, i bottled that extra bit.. and added one carb(sugar) tablet to each bottle..

question is.. are those bottles going to blow up or what?

do I need to drink those bad boys on wednesday before they get fully carbed up? tasted great out of the primary too.. can't wait to see what it tastes like after 6 weeks of dry hopping.. ;)

1.066 to 1.016 COULD have been done, but it's kinda high. If you post the recipe, someone on here might be able to give you a better idea.

I got it off here under "Pliney the Bastid" (Pliney the Elder Clone) Thread under IPA's.. smells great.. I may just pop them on wednesday and recap them again to release a bit of pressure..

I went to beer smith, and I'm not sure if my I was wrong when i put it in the computer, but it says 1.022 in beersmith.. could have swore it was 16.. anyway..

if i pop them on wed.. and recap.. will that help ?

Well, you don't know if they're overcarbed yet. If they're not, that'll just make them undercarbed. When did you bottle them?

I'd say it depends on if fermentation is finished. Was the FG reading stable for a couple of days? 66 to 16 is 75% attenuation - is that in the range for the yeast you used? It probably is. If fermentation was finished, then you are fine. If there was still a way to go, then you might get bombs. I had my first bombs this past week with a beer that went from 1.050 to about 1.020 (60% attenuation). Took about 4 weeks at 70-80F for them to explode though.

well.. this was a bit of beer that was going to be tossed...

primary had 6.5 gallosn in it for 14 days, and i racked to secondary,

instead of trashing it, i just bottled it as I hate to waste beer..

hopefully they'll last that long.. i'll just call my neighbors over on friday and we'lld rink all of them :) hehehe

The Bottles only explode if the fermentation is still going on if the fermentation has completed its cycle it will be fine but adding sugar will increase fermentation so you will need to give it time to sit before bottling.

well.. this was a bit of beer that was going to be tossed...

primary had 6.5 gallosn in it for 14 days, and i racked to secondary,

instead of trashing it, i just bottled it as I hate to waste beer..

hopefully they'll last that long.. i'll just call my neighbors over on friday and we'lld rink all of them :) hehehe

You need a larger secondary container . . . Or just leave it in primary.:mug:

Latest posts

Back