Are most regulators created equal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_gunslinger

Reaction score
I have a Taprite I got from MoreBeer. I also just got a used Kegeratorthat came with this Draught Tech regulator, which feel much more substantial. Are there some brand that are top of the line?

Came with Kegerator (Draught tech)
draught_tech.jpg

From MoreBeer
taprite.jpg

You get what you pay for is my general experience. Taprite is inexpensive and not as durable as other options. I've used other brand (I think, they at least looked exactly like it) and they're sturdier feeling but I don't remember much else. MicroMatic is another more worthwhile brand.

If you can't get a rebuild kit for it I'd put it at the bottom of any list.
fwiw, I have Taprite, Chudnow, and Micromatic regulators, and rank them in that order...

Cheers!

I bought a cheap one (dual) It’s exactly that, cheap. Doesn’t hold pressure for either system it’s hooked up to

Thanks for the replies. This Draught Tech just feels sturdy and well built. But that doesnt mean it is. Will try it out.

I have both Micromatic and Taprite on my Beverageair various BM23's. Both work fine for residential use BUT for commercial rigors Micromatic can't be beat.

Regulators aren't really subjected to much mechanical stress so "sturdiness" is pretty meaningless. Most of the time what's eventually going to fail is the membrane and you definitely can't judge its quality or its current condition without disassembling the unit so you can't really judge a regulator by looks alone.

Back