Are keg qd's interchangeable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
It's been asked but I cant seem to find the answer. I have a spare gas qd and I'm in need of a liquid qd. Can I use the gas qd on the liquid post? I don't want to get it stuck on there or have a beer shower.

No you can’t. I mean if you push hard enough it might work but it’s not a good idea.

You can however put a gas male connector on the liquid side which would allow you to use the gas female connector.

Sounds like a trip to the lhbs is in order then. Thanks for the responses!

I learned that they are not interchangeable the hard way. I recently purchased 3 kegs and decided to give all 5 of my kegs a good cleaning and sanitizing at once. Took off all poppets and soaked them. Apparently I put 4 of them together correctly, but not the 5th one. After kegging a beer in that 5th keg, I could not for the life of me figure out why it was so difficult to attach the gas side. I did finally get it on, but it took some muscle. After purging and trying to attach the liquid line I came to the conclusion they were backwards. And they were...You live, you learn...

Are you talking about ball lock disconnects?

The gray/gas disconnect will fit on the both liquid and the gas(duh) posts. It'll be a little harder to get on the liquid post, but you can do it. Use some Starsan to lubricate it. I've done it for cleaning and filling co2 from the bottom. I don't know if it'll seal properly over time, so I wouldn't leave it hooked up unattended for a long time.

The black/liquid disconnect however will only fit on a liquid post.

My disconnects are from CMB.

Are you talking about ball lock disconnects?

The gray/gas disconnect will fit on the both liquid and the gas(duh) posts. It'll be a little harder to get on the liquid post, but you can do it. Use some Starsan to lubricate it. I've done it for cleaning and filling co2 from the bottom. I don't know if it'll seal properly over time, so I wouldn't leave it hooked up unattended for a long time.

The black/liquid disconnect however will only fit on a liquid post.

My disconnects are from CMB.
I have ball lock kegs, and I could not get the gas side to connect to the liquid side and seal. I did get the liquid line on the gas side though. But it was not easy at all. And I used Star San for lubrication.

I put this thing together to test if a gas disconnect would seal on a liquid post. As you can see from the lack of notches at the base of the post it is a liquid post.

Everything except the gauge was submerged in water for about two hours to look for leaks. I filmed it using timelapse. The only leaks I found were from the 1/4 NPT threads. It lost 0,2 bar/2,9 psi.

There might of course have been leaks from the post and disconnect I didn't see.

20181221_211128.jpg

20181221_211333.jpg

Back