Archery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregR

Reaction score
do any other homebrewers shoot archery? I never get the chance to do it in San Diego but whenever I go up towards Yosemite to visit family I always make sure I get outside for a few hours and shoot. It's just so much fun, especially when my brothers are out also and we start little competitions.

I am by no stretch of the imagination good but every time I come out I always think I need to buy my own and start going to some ranges in San Diego. the Bow I use is definitely too small for me and I can't help but think I'd get much better with a bow fitted for my frame.

My girl and I brought recurve bows because supposedly they are harder to be accurate at than a compound with sights. We only target shoot so we wanted the challenge and shoot for fun.
My friend at work brought over his compound bow with sites for me to try, never shot one before. I was able to be much more accurate due to the sights and probably the power as there is less fall of the arrow before hitting the target.
Now don't get me wrong, with practice you can learn to be dead on with a recurve and be more accurate than someone less skilled with a compound.

Check this out. My friend made his first shot and hit the bull’s eye. On his second shot he shot directly into the back of the first arrow. I mean DIRECTLY. Looked like one single straight arrow. They were aluminum though so hollow. Even he didn't believe he could do that but he did and I saw it plus several others. He has a picture too. I think Myth Busters said it probably could not be done, they were WRONG!!!!

My girl and I brought recurve bows because supposedly they are harder to be accurate at than a compound with sights. We only target shoot so we wanted the challenge and shoot for fun.
My friend at work brought over his compound bow with sites for me to try, never shot one before. I was able to be much more accurate due to the sights and probably the power as there is less fall of the arrow before hitting the target.
Now don't get me wrong, with practice you can learn to be dead on with a recurve and be more accurate than someone less skilled with a compound.

Check this out. My friend made his first shot and hit the bull’s eye. On his second shot he shot directly into the back of the first arrow. I mean DIRECTLY. Looked like one single straight arrow. They were aluminum though so hollow. Even he didn't believe he could do that but he did and I saw it plus several others. He has a picture too. I think Myth Busters said it probably could not be done, they were WRONG!!!!

I've never shot a recurve. that would be a lot of fun. the sights make a world of difference, especially when taken the time to really sight them in as accurate as possible. you'd have to be REALLY good at judging distance with a recurve.

thats outstanding that he split the arrow. I've seen a friend do that before (perhaps not straight down like you said, but hit the arrow none the less). if I ever did that, there would be no skill involved whatsoever. only luck.

I love shooting my bow. I find it relaxing being out in the middle of nowhere (thank you central Oregon) with no sounds save the wind and my bow.

As for the Mythbusters arrow splitting episode: "Even after multiple direct hits on a solid wood arrow with the bone nock removed, a tail-to-tip split could not be achieved. It took an arrow made of hollow bamboo to create the splitting effect seen in the movie. Because with a normal arrow, the second arrow will follow the grain, which will lead to the side before it makes it to the end. Also their tests revealed that an arrow fired from a traditional bow wobbles in the air enough that it won’t hit the end of the arrow straight."

I've come close a couple times to stacking arrows at 20 yards, but all i did was end up gouging the nock and the back end of the shaft.

I've never shot a recurve. that would be a lot of fun. the sights make a world of difference, especially when taken the time to really sight them in as accurate as possible. you'd have to be REALLY good at judging distance with a recurve.

thats outstanding that he split the arrow. I've seen a friend do that before (perhaps not straight down like you said, but hit the arrow none the less). if I ever did that, there would be no skill involved whatsoever. only luck.

He was pretty dead on center with his first shot, so with the second he was aiming for the same spot pretty much. Some skill involved.

I used to shoot recurve a lot. The no sights thing seems to be a disadvantage but after lot of practice with the recurve, you begin to prefer it. At some point, you become one with the bow and no aiming is required. You just "feel" the shot and know exactly where it is going to hit as you release. I think it is a much more rewarding experience that way.

I used to shoot recurve a lot. The no sights thing seems to be a disadvantage but after lot of practice with the recurve, you begin to prefer it. At some point, you become one with the bow and no aiming is required. You just "feel" the shot and know exactly where it is going to hit as you release. I think it is a much more rewarding experience that way.

I should look into seeing if I could find one for a decent price. it sounds like a lot of fun and a heck of a challenge.

I'm an archer. I love it. I wish I had more time to do it, but the kids slow me down.

Not too much though.
010-2.jpg

I've shot bows since I was a kid. I don't get much of a chance to shoot these days because I am so busy, but I start practicing again around August. I just shoot a few arrows a day so that when hunting season opens, my bow is ready.

Notice that I didn't say I was ready. I missed 2 deer this year with my bow. The first was the first time I was ever able to draw back on a deer, and I don't know what happened. I just plain missed. The second was WAY to far away, and it was to dark. I should have never released the arrow. I knew before I ever hit the release that it was going to be a bad shot. To this day, I don't know why I did. It was irresponsible and very poor hunting ettiquette, and if given the chance to do it over, I wouldn't do it. Not only did I loose an arrow and broadhead, but I could have wounded a deer and with a poor shot. I spent about 3 hours that night casting for blood, but luckily I never found any. I'll never do that again.

I do think that I am going to get some lighted nocks this year though. I shoot big arrows with heavy broadheads, so it might help me balance the arrow out a little. Plus If I take an early evening shot, it might help me track the deer better.

I bow hunt only to get out early on deer season. Other than that, probably only 50-60 shots a year, to brush up right before season. Now firearms on the other hand, too many rounds........

I know a guy who did that in high school. During archery for gym (yeah, I'm from the sticks) guys were allowed to bring in their bows. The teacher planned archery right before bow season started so these guys could practice. I dont know anything about mythbusters saying that, not that I watch that often, but its completely wrong!

I know a guy who did that in high school. During archery for gym (yeah, I'm from the sticks) guys were allowed to bring in their bows. The teacher planned archery right before bow season started so these guys could practice. I dont know anything about mythbusters saying that, not that I watch that often, but its completely wrong!

Why would you say that? We had archery offered to us as a gym class also. Is there something about me I don't know about?:cross:

I just got back into bow hunging last year. Came close to drawing on a nice bull elk, but he just wouldn't come the last couple of yards :(

I really enjoy it, I've got a tarket set up in the yard with markers set up out to 40 yards. I need to get my butt out and practice.

I've made several of my own bows. It's a lot of fun, and really rewarding to shoot with something you've built yourself. Here I am shooting a bow I made for a friend - we named it "The Pharoah" because it has pyramidal shaped limbs. It draws about 65# if I remember correctly.

pharoah1.jpg

-Joe

I've made several of my own bows. It's a lot of fun, and really rewarding to shoot with something you've built yourself. Here I am shooting a bow I made for a friend - we named it "The Pharoah" because it has pyramidal shaped limbs. It draws about 65# if I remember correctly.

pharoah1.jpg

-Joe

That is pretty cool and it really looks nice.

As a kid I shot pulling with my left hand, that is what felt most comfortable for me but when we went to the gun/archery shop to buy our bows they tested me for my dominate eye and really suggested I learn how to shoot the other way, it would pay off.
I did and I am slowly getting used to it but it still feels strange especially when trying to put the arrow in the bow, it looks like I ride the short bus sometimes. I know, these days a lot of kids ride the short buses. ;)

Anyone else switch?

Anyone here do Pole Archery? I see mention of it in the gallery but cannot find anything about it on google and am just curious as to what it is?

As a kid I shot pulling with my left hand, that is what felt most comfortable for me but when we went to the gun/archery shop to buy our bows they tested me for my dominate eye and really suggested I learn how to shoot the other way, it would pay off.
I did and I am slowly getting used to it but it still feels strange especially when trying to put the arrow in the bow, it looks like I ride the short bus sometimes. I know, these days a lot of kids ride the short buses. ;)

Anyone else switch?

I am the same way with shooting rifles. I do everything in life right handed. even was stronger shooting right handed when playing paintball for years, but hand me a rifle, and into the left hand goes the trigger. I think I just feel better steadying with my right hand out in front.

Anyone here do Pole Archery? I see mention of it in the gallery but cannot find anything about it on google and am just curious as to what it is?

I am the same way with shooting rifles. I do everything in life right handed. even was stronger shooting right handed when playing paintball for years, but hand me a rifle, and into the left hand goes the trigger. I think I just feel better steadying with my right hand out in front.

You just reminded me how screwed up I am. As a kid I shot BB guns holding the gun in my left hand, trigger in the right. That is how I hold a gun today. Bow was the opposite.

I also write with my right hand but I throw with my left. Want to see a guy look like a girl throwing a ball? Have me throw right handed. Not only would I look funny and not even get close to you but I probably wouldn't reach you either. :eek: I hold tools like hammers and screw drivers in my right hand.

I have a 45 lb recurve that my grandfather gave me, and I used to shoot it quite a bit when I was younger, but I don't shoot it that much anymore. Used to be pretty good with it too and won some competitions and awards.

I also have a compound bow that I got for deer hunting in the bow season, but its too hard for me to draw it so I've not tried to hunt with it. I can barely shoot it at a target - I tried to have somone adjust it down but even adjusted all the way down its still too hard for me to draw. I will probably sell it on Craigslist or something and get another, or else just hunt the bow season with the recurve.

Why would you say that? We had archery offered to us as a gym class also. Is there something about me I don't know about?:cross:

I'd say its just because most people I know look at me like I have 3 heads when I mention that. I wouldnt expect many people had similar situations due to said reaction.

But then again most people I know dont brew beer :ban:

I'm just going through the general chit chat finding things I'm interested in posting about, and yes I do shoot the bow every now and then when I have time. I have a 50lb recurve, impala brand I believe. It was a starter bow and so far has been fun, but my accuracy isn't for **** though.

I shot quit often when I was a kid. Never got into bow season for deer. Took too much being quiet and still. Maybe if dad has actually taught me more about deer habits...

Anyway, I really liked it and my girls like shooting at camps they've been too. I got to shoot at a bow manufacturing company (Eagle/Oneida in Marion MI) while having them do some machining work for us. I wish I'd had some of the fancy stuff when I was a kid!

I used an old recurve until dad took it to mount an open-faced reel on it for bow fishing in the creek.

Our bowseason opened 2 days ago but it's been so windy it's not worth going out. I can't wait to get in to a tree and get some venison. There is nothing like calling a deer in and then taking a shot at 10 yards.

NY opened saturday. Didnt go out due to wind. Didn't feel like having a tree fall on my head. Went out sunday and this morning. Spooked two doe while in the stand this morning. DOH!!!!

The last two years have been slow for a variety of reasons, but I'm a big time archery hunter. I haven't had the time to dedicate to shooting that I had in the past, and I won't go out with a bow unless my skills are sharp. I hate wounding deer. I'm doing some scouting for a new place this week. Can't wait!

I shot mostly tournament and league growing up. I would shoot everyday and then do a tournament on the weekend. I did a lot of traveling and had a great time. Sadly I got out of the sport for about 20 years and then returned to the sport and shot in a couple more leagues for about 5 years. When I had to job relocate I once again had to drop out. Now that I am retired I've been thinking about joining another league. I'm not sure my body is competitive anymore but I really should give it another try. I haven't hunted in 35 years, my hunting bow is probably 40 years old.

I'm a bow hunter. The weather has been weird- too warm last week (75+ degrees) and too windy right now. But I try to get out whenever I can. I've only been bow hunting for a few years after rifle hunting forever. I love it, though!

I've been a bowhunter for about 17 - 18 years. It get in your blood once you try iy.

My best shot hunting was a Ruffed Grouse (partridge) in flight. I never did a lot of deer hunting but the one and only shot I ever had I came down with buck fever so bad I missed from 15 feet. My worst shot ever.

My wife and I shoot, well it's been about 3 years for my wife, but I finally got the bow back out after the same three year hiatus. The Marine Corps and my 19 month old have kept me busy. I got it out a few weeks ago and started shooting again to get ready for archery season.

I picked up a Carter Just B-Cuz release over the weekend and I'm going to get to shoot it tomorrow for the first time and I can't wait.

I have Friday off and plan to be in the woods for the morning and evening and maybe Saturday if I don't stick one Friday.

Just ordered a dozen Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350s with wraps from Lancaster Archery! They'll be ready tomorrow. Had the bow tuned and the draw weight upped by 10 lbs. Can't wait to shoot tomorrow night.

The Carter release was definitely different, but I like it. Just need some more time with it.

The Carter release was definitely different, but I like it. Just need some more time with it.

When I got back into Archery 20 years ago the thing I found that improved accuracy the most was using a release. With a single contact point on the string instead of three fingers trying to be consistent makes a huge difference. The compound bow speed was also a great improvement over the recurves. I still have a few prototype releases from the early 70's ( late 60's) when the release was being developed. The one I started using in early 90's was amazing. Technology I'm sure has advanced even more since then.

When I got back into Archery 20 years ago the thing I found that improved accuracy the most was using a release. With a single contact point on the string instead of three fingers trying to be consistent makes a huge difference. The compound bow speed was also a great improvement over the recurves. I still have a few prototype releases from the early 70's ( late 60's) when the release was being developed. The one I started using in early 90's was amazing. Technology I'm sure has advanced even more since then.

The Carter release is really nice. Just a different feel at first compared to the Scott wrist strap trigger style. The Just B-Cuz is a thumb trigger that you can shoot by squeezing or like a back tension release.

I honestly can't remember the last time I shot a bow without a release.

I honestly can't remember the last time I shot a bow without a release.

When I started shooting we didn't use sights. We looked down at the people that used them and called them pinheads because the sights were simple pins, or even match heads taped to the bow. I learned to adopt the technology to stay competitive. I stopped shooting just before releases took off. As soon as I got back into it I used a release and would never go back to fingers. I wouldn't recommend trying to shoot without one unless you want to practice everyday for years.

When I started shooting we didn't use sights. We looked down at the people that used them and called them pinheads because the sights were simple pins, or even match heads taped to the bow. I learned to adopt the technology to stay competitive. I stopped shooting just before releases took off. As soon as I got back into it I used a release and would never go back to fingers. I wouldn't recommend trying to shoot without one unless you want to practice everyday for years.

GF and I both got recurve bows for fun and target practice. A friend of mine bow hunts for deer and brought over his compound bow with a release and sights. Aside from the speed the accuracy was incredible. If you can just stay still and aim and release smoothly you are going to hit your target. In just a few shots my aim improved 1000%. He on his first demonstartion, not intentionally, shot his second arrow right into the back of the first, splitting the nock (?) and perfectly entering the first arrow. It was like one double long arrow in the target. He didn't believe it himself at first, but I know now it is not a myth, can be done. Ok, well it was a hollow arrow I am sure doing that with a solid wooden arrow is probably near impossible.

He on his first demonstartion, not intentionally, shot his second arrow right into the back of the first, splitting the nock (?) and perfectly entering the first arrow. It was like one double long arrow in the target. He didn't believe it himself at first, but I know now it is not a myth, can be done.

You bet it can be done, I've been there. The worst part is when an arrow glances off the nock and deflects out of the bulls eye. I ended up shooting what is called a 5 spot target. You shoot 1 arrow into 1 target the second arrow into another target and so on . 5 different targets to avoid this. Before the 5 spot targets you just carried extra nocks in your pocket to replace the ones you hit. In the rare instance you did a Robin Hood you took it home and hung it up on the wall,

Back