Archery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You bet it can be done, I've been there. The worst part is when an arrow glances off the nock and deflects out of the bulls eye. I ended up shooting what is called a 5 spot target. You shoot 1 arrow into 5 different targets to avoid this. Before the 5 spot targets you just carried extra nocks in your pocket to replace the ones you hit. In the rare instance you did a Robin Hood you took it home and hung it up on the wall,

Ah, that explains it. When I was his boss he and the others bought me a target "box" with targets on all sides for my birthday, several of which have the 5 targets on them. I was wondering why 5 targets, now I know. Using a recurve and not being that good it never occoured to me. :eek:

You bet it can be done, I've been there. The worst part is when an arrow glances off the nock and deflects out of the bulls eye. I ended up shooting what is called a 5 spot target. You shoot 1 arrow into 1 target the second arrow into another target and so on . 5 different targets to avoid this. Before the 5 spot targets you just carried extra nocks in your pocket to replace the ones you hit. In the rare instance you did a Robin Hood you took it home and hung it up on the wall,

He was just telling me not long ago how excited he was about being invited to hunt on private land that rarely got hunted instead of the crowded state lands. When I asked him later how his trip was he said ok, but was bumbed out the guy went out early the morning before he showed up and shot a deer. He said he spent that day helping him drag his out of the woods and butchering it. Kind of a dick move I think to invite him then go out and do that before he got there. This guy was not his friend directly, he was invited through the guys friend who also went.

I used to shoot a 60# longbow in high school. The hobby has died off since university for lack of spare time. I do miss it. My club used to have traditional nights where we would chase each others arrows, I robin hooded/split quite a few back in the day.

Very interesting reads guys. I have never really hunted persay, but I think hunting with a recurve would be awesome, however the amount of time required to be be a good enough shot seems a bit ridiculous, since I'm in college I'm pretty busy as it is with 18 hours this semester. I'm eyeing my bow up in the closet and thinking about pulling it out sometime soon to throw a few shots.

Baja_Brewer said:
I'd say its just because most people I know look at me like I have 3 heads when I mention that. I wouldnt expect many people had similar situations due to said reaction.

But then again most people I know dont brew beer :ban:

We had trap shooting offered as a sport in my high school

neohistory said:
Very interesting reads guys. I have never really hunted persay, but I think hunting with a recurve would be awesome, however the amount of time required to be be a good enough shot seems a bit ridiculous, since I'm in college I'm pretty busy as it is with 18 hours this semester. I'm eyeing my bow up in the closet and thinking about pulling it out sometime soon to throw a few shots.

Doesn't take long to shoot 60 arrows.

I just bought a 1960's wooden compound bow made by darton with 4 carbon arrows for $40. That it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a new bow but it will stick an arrow through a deer. The only problem with it is there is no break so you have to be ready to shoot when you draw it.

The only "big buck" I ever got hunting was with a bow. I always preferred bow to gun, more rewarding imo. Of course I cheated and used a compound bow.

2011-09-15_13-56-15_842.jpg

I just bought a 1960's wooden compound bow made by darton with 4 carbon arrows for $40. That it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a new bow but it will stick an arrow through a deer. The only problem with it is there is no break so you have to be ready to shoot when you draw it.

Pics please. I think I'm done messing with my bow until after the deer season is over. I added a B Stinger stabilizer and changed my peep following PRK surgery this summer.

I don't think Darton made a compound till the 70's can you post a picture? Or is there a model name on the bow?

wildwest450 said:
The only "big buck" I ever got hunting was with a bow. I always preferred bow to gun, more rewarding imo. Of course I cheated and used a compound bow.

That's a nice deer. It's not cheating using a compound bow, it's just adaptation at it's finest. Though I am hoping to take a deer with a spear this year, once the rut starts here I think that will be my best chance. As for rifles you just have to find new ways to challenge yourself, like shooting long distances or hunting from the ground without a blind or some type of a stand.

As for rifles you just have to find new ways to challenge yourself, like shooting long distances or hunting from the ground without a blind or some type of a stand.

We weren't allowed to use rifles in Michigan, shotgun only. Even with a rifled barrel and scope, 125 yards max.

_

I have everything including the climber stand out in the wind overnight and I'm hoping to get out this afternoon into the evening for a bit after getting the grass mowed and a batch of beer brewed. Gotta run!

I hunted for 5 years here in Oklahoma with a shotgun, it was a smooth bore with rifled slugs. It was tough because where I was hunting it was wide open plains so I had to sit near their trails and get them in close. The thing I love about archery is that you can practice in your backyard.

Hey noodle. I'm in OK as well. Outer okc. Last I was on hunting land was in ardmore and I was a kid (27 now)

neohistory said:
Hey noodle. I'm in OK as well. Outer okc. Last I was on hunting land was in ardmore and I was a kid (27 now)

I hunted out by Enid and Covington.

I got a squirrel with my bow yesterday, today I had smoked squirrel with ABT's for lunch.

I have hunted with a longbow, recurve, or selfbow since about 1993...compounds before that...solid fiberglass longbows and recurves as a kid. I retired in July and we have a 5 month archery deer season here in Arkansas. I can hunt 5 months a year here on my farm...about 1/4 mile from my brewshed. :) Life is good!

Latest posts

Back