Archaic Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmo Peach

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
No BiB or fancy electric kettle today. I have used both methods before. What my friend Steve and I did today was very different. We brewed a stone ale. I am calling it B&S Smash Stone Ale.

At 9 a.m. I built a fire over a pile of stones. At 10:30 we started adding the very hot rocks to a10 gallon kettle. We finished at 12:30 had a home brew and Steves wife made us lunch'

I used 8 Lbs. of some malt I had with no tag to tell me what it was and a Hallertau magnum AA 14% and 5 or 6 gallons of water. The malt had been hanging around for sometime and the hops were the first one out of the bag that I grabbed (leaving it to fate).

We got 3 gallons of wort I pitched a Kviek Mangrove Jack M12 yeast at 35 celcius (95F)

It was a fun brew day will try it again.

Well it is JUNE 26th and I have bottled the stone beer. (B&S Viking Ale ,Stone Smash ). It came out to about 3%. The taste is smokey it would pair well with smoked oysters. My wife, and most honest critic , said it was "drinkable" high praise indeed.

I had to sample it of course early this morning (8:00 am) when I took the FG reading I drank what was left in the hydometer tube. "Beer not just for breakfast anymore" It was "drinkable"

Attachments

• IMG_0688[1].JPG
    IMG_0688[1].JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5493[1].MOV
    4.1 MB
  • IMG_5490[1].MOV
    9.7 MB
  • IMG_5494.MOV
    3.3 MB
  • IMG_5502.MOV
    3.4 MB
Last edited:
Stone age brew - fantastic! Quite a contrast with my shiny electric brew day. I wonder if the result will have some smoky character?
we lined the mash tun with cedar to act as a filter. We tasted the wort and it was sort of spicy not too smokey though.

Attachments

• IMG_5477.MOV
    32.4 MB
I've often thought about doing something like this (have an earth science degree, and just like historical beers/techniques in general). Some day!
It took me a year to stop "thinking and just do". If you have a place for the fire or even use the propane cooker give it a try it was very fun. I hope the beer taste good. Regardless it was worth the doing.

You sir, have actually brewed what is also called a Steinbier.

Pretty cool. Had a buddy do one recently and was a little jealous to miss out on brew day.

Last edited:
Tasted the stone beer coming out of the primary. It is brown in colour, smells like corn (no corn in it).

The first taste: not horrible.second taste not bad, thrid taste I could drink this. Flavour remenisent of the smell of my great grandmother's store in North Ga, HInts of smoke and tobacco with a corn finisn. (Sweet corn not liquid corn)
Stone age brew - fantastic! Quite a contrast with my shiny electric brew day. I wonder if the result will have some smoky character?
it has a very slight smokey taste

Picked some sediment so I will let it clear and then bottle it. I broke the plastic tube to my hydrometer so I am not sur of the FG.

Just over a month ago my freind Steve helped me to brew a Stienbier in his back yard today we tasted it. The head on the beer was large and creamy there was a slight smokey taste but not over powering. about 3% ABV I think. It was cloudy. All in all we decieced to do it again it was a great success.

Attachments

• IMG_5641[1].MOV
    22.1 MB
glad it's good...now i know in a pinch, i can park the car in the sun here, and brew inside! ;) lol :mug:

edit: not just for cooking eggs anymore!

What type of rock? I'm interested in trying but concerned about rocks shattering

Back