aquarium heater size for fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I would like to get started on fermenting in the basement, but it is too cold.

I think the fermenter-in-the water barrel solution will work, but I need an aquarium heater capable of keeping the water at 66-68 degrees. The temp in basement is abt 50 - 55

Question - what size aquariun heater, and should I get another Ranco to regulate the temp, or rely on the aquarium heater thermostat ?

Measure twice, cut once.

I use a 75w heater with no problems, but I don't think my basement goes below 55. I also use a temperature controller because I don't trust the thermostat on the heater.

Aquarium heaters for fish are usually recommended at 5W/gallon for 5F above room temp, 10W/gallon for 10-15F above room temps and 15W+/gallon for 15+F.

So for example: If you put your 5 gallons of beer in a carboy into a bin and add 5 gallons of water thats about 10 gallons of water you need to heat. So if you want to get to 65 I'd get a 100W heater.

Marineland Stealth brand of heaters I have found to be pretty accurate(within 2F of set temps).

Aquarium heaters for fish are usually recommended at 5W/gallon for 5F above room temp, 10W/gallon for 10-15F above room temps and 15W+/gallon for 15+F.

So for example: If you put your 5 gallons of beer in a carboy into a bin and add 5 gallons of water thats about 10 gallons of water you need to heat. So if you want to get to 65 I'd get a 100W heater.

Marineland Stealth brand of heaters I have found to be pretty accurate(within 2F of set temps).

Thanks - so in choosing a bin for the water, I should include the displacement of the carboy (6.5 gal) ...

so wld a 15 gal rubbermaid be OK for a single Better Bottle ? 100W aquarium heater ..

Any suggestions for online shopping for bin and heater ?

I am doing this currently for a Saison I have going. I am using a 50w adjustable heater, the ambient temp in the room is 70, but the temp in my water bath has been slowly increased over the past 8 days to 84. The airlock is still bubbling away, so it seems to be working well. I used the 50w because I had it left over from our now defunct fish tank, but it seems to be working fine. One thing that seemed to help is a little insulation around the bath, and just throwing some 2x4 scraps I had to elevate the bath off the concrete. I think I have about 4-5 gals in the bath, so probably total of 9-10 gallons being heated.

Edit: I am using a 20gal rope handled utility tub from the hardware store I had left over form my cider projects last fall. 7.5 gal plastic bucket fits fine.

Thanks =

I have never brewed a saison .. does it require such a high fermentation temp ? I try not to go above 68.

That is what they say, this is actually my first attempt, and I am using wyeast 3724, which I got before I saw 3711 is apparently easier to work with, but hey, half the fun of brewing is trying new stuff. I have never fermented this high before, but everything I read about this strain was keep it hot. I looked at the Fermwraps, but I liked the price of my set up out of recycled stuff already in the basement. All I do is pour about a pint of fresh water in the bath every morning before work to keep the water level up. I see you live in Vermont, so I bet your basement is like mine and gets pretty chilly. Right now, it is 56F in the northeastern corner, and I have my 3rd lager of the winter just finishing up in time to switch to more ales. When summer is at its peak, I will probably try some belgians, as it will usually be around 65in the basement, and I can put them next to the boiler to stay a tad bit warmer. I will probably use this water bath technique this coming winter to brew more ales when it is damn cold out.

Thanks - so in choosing a bin for the water, I should include the displacement of the carboy (6.5 gal) ...

so wld a 15 gal rubbermaid be OK for a single Better Bottle ? 100W aquarium heater ..

Any suggestions for online shopping for bin and heater ?

I would go off the total volume of liquid in the bin. Even if you underestimate, the yeast will provide there own heating to raise the temps on their own. I dont think most people completely submerge their carboy in water...

I haven't used this method since I have to worry about cooling my carboy but others may have some advice on what size bin is best. Your local Petco or Petsmart will sell heaters for about $25-30.

I'd really recommend this one. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPAS46/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The great thing about this one is the thermostat on it goes down to 64F. Most of the ones at the pet store will have minimum temps of 68+. It'll work, but i'd like more control than that. If you want you can even trick calibrate it to go a bit lower.

I'm running a set up right now with a 17 gallon rubbermaid container (the ones with rope handles), 75W jager and its been flawless. keep the water level in the bin a couple inches below the water level in your fermenter

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd really recommend this one. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPAS46/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The great thing about this one is the thermostat on it goes down to 64F. Most of the ones at the pet store will have minimum temps of 68+. It'll work, but i'd like more control than that. If you want you can even trick calibrate it to go a bit lower.

I'm running a set up right now with a 17 gallon rubbermaid container (the ones with rope handles), 75W jager and its been flawless. keep the water level in the bin a couple inches below the water level in your fermenter

Ordered this this evening at Amazon...online ordering is just too easy! Thank you for recommending this .. I wouldn't know what to buy, but I am sure this is going to do the trick..I used to have a 20 gal aquarium w/tropical fish...now I rasie domestic yeast!

Last edited by a moderator:
With the price of heaters being so close for 50w-150w , I'd say go big.

I had two lager fermenter barrels outside a few weeks ago- ~15G water and a 6G carboy with wort in each. I had a 100W heater in each barrel, and they were able to maintain ~53F for lager primary fermentation even on nights as cold as 28F. ~20G liquid mass+100W= sustained 53F on a 28F night when a thermostat was attached. I don't know how warm I could have kept them if I wanted, but I suspect 60F would have been attainable. YMMV.

I use a 50W heater and have two beers fermenting at once. From my experience the heater will at a maximum only warm the water to 10 degrees above ambient. But once the beer starts fermenting it will help keep the water bath warm. I used to use a rubbermaid tote but was having problems keeping the wate bath warm enough. I started using an ice chest that will fit two fermenters in it. With two fermenters in the ice chest it only takes a couple gallons of water to fill the remaining volume. Since I've been using the ice chest I have no problem adjusting the temp where I need it to be.

Also, I pitch yeast at about 70F and by time it gets into full gear the beer has cooled enought that I'm fermenting in low-mid 60's.

went to the horse feed store today and got a 70 QT muck bucket, good enough for one better bottle .. ordered the 100w aquarium heater last night..going to get the statrter going Thursday night for the BIG SHOW Saturday morning ..

Thanks to everyone who has gone before me using this technique... I am really looking forward to keeping everything in the basement.

Maiden voyage today for the 75W aquarium heater and tub.. a bit worried not seeing any light showing it was operating, but now I see the light...

I had tons of tropical fish as a kid, and always found a comfort in that little light on the heater keeping the fish happy ... I hope the Nottingham yeasties are equally appreciative. Feel like this is such a big improvement ...thx to all for your helpful suggestions..

First time that everything done in the basement .. no more slogging carboys upstairs to ferment.. In fact, I got some food grade hose to fill the HLT, so no more slogging 3 gal containers either..

Fermenting away nicely.

Temp holding at 65.5 == 75W doing fine..doing EdWort's HPA..

What a simple solution !

Looks pretty happy in there.

But next time, clean the kitty litter box before taking the pic. ;)

I'm doing a saison very soon and will need to buy a setup like this, thanks for the pic. That muck bucket looks perfect, I think I'll go that route.
Has anyone ever tried a digitally controlled aquarium heater? This one was on Amazon...
Finnex HMO - 50 Watt w/ Memorized Digital Controller Aquarium Titanium Heater

It would probably work assuming it goes to a low enough temp. A lot of these controllers min out at 68F which is too warm. Also, the "digital controller" is basically the same thing as the regular aquarium heaters, its just connected by a cord instead of being mounted directly on the aquarium heater.

Do any of y'all have a rig to heat the fermentation and refridgerate it simultaneosly within a two or three degree bound.... say 65F to 68F where at 68F the refridgerator compressor is engaged and at at 65F the heater is kicked on?

Well- I finally racked that 5 gals of EdWort's HPA to the keg over the weekend. Never used a secondary.

Drew a pint off this evening, and even though it is not fully carbonated, I have to say this is w/o doubt the best EW-HPA I have ever tasted..it has more body and the taste is more complex, even if the recipe is not that exotic..this won't last long!

This beer will be the hit of a dear friend's retirement party this weekend (might have to force carb :(

another brewing lesson learned - this one called keep your fermentation temp constant !

Thank you all for your creative suggestions

I am doing my 4th batch with this technique .. the water temp is rock solid at 68 degrees with the aquarium heater ... the fermentation is slow and steady...

I will prob get another heater so I can get 2 fermenters going at the same time..

Happy 4th of July!

Back