Apricot Hefeweizen Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefe73

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've been searching online for a good extract kit for an Apricot Hefeweizen and haven't had too much success. I was wondering if anyone could possibly either point me to a website that might offer the type of kit I'm looking for or even a recipe would be great! I was recently out in Utah and had a Apricot Hefe from Wasatch Brewing Co. so I was looking to try and clone that.

Any help would be much appreciated...thanks in advance!

Jeff

I would brew a regular hefeweizen then add about 2 oz. of apricot extract when fermentation ends. When I made my Magic Hat No. 9 clone, that's what I did and it came out great. Are you doing extract or all grain?

Thanks for the replies!

cfos - I did manage to stumble across the Beer Nut website and saw they carried the Apricot Hefe kit...thanks for the recommendation!

Professor Frink - I thought about doing exactly what you mentioned...maybe I'll give that a shot...especially if it came close to the Magic Hat #9. I plan on doing an extract + partial grains.

Thanks guys!

I've been pleased with the Beer Nut -- of course, this is UT so my choice of stores is limited! They seem a friendly enough bunch and have been a great help setting me up.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do -- if you wind up using the kit from Beer Nut -- let me know how it goes. I'm looking to try to brew that kit... in late March.

Ok, so I decided to go ahead and just brew a Hefeweizen recipe that I will add an apricot puree to during secondary. My questions are, how many lbs. of puree should I use for a 5 gallon recipe? Is one can of the Oregon Apricot puree enough or should I use a second can? I'd also like to know how long I should let the beer sit on the fruit in the secondary and if I should rack a 3rd time to clear/settle once again before bottling?

Thanks for helping to answer my newbie questions! :mug:

Jeff

Another idea that a buddy of mine did for a very subtle apricot flavor was to buy those dehydrated apricots from the produce section at the grocery store and add those to the secondary. I think he used a couple of bags. Not sure how much comes in a bag, but that Dunkelweizen tasted awesome! My 2 pennies.

I am looking at brewing an apricot hefe also, but see no results here...

Jeff - Did you use puree? If so, how much and how did it turn out?

I just added 4 oz. of apricot flavoring to a 5 gallon Weizenbier after 7 days in the primary. I also gave it a little stir. Is that the right way to do it. Has anyone had any experience with these combos? Thx

I just added 4 oz. of apricot flavoring to a 5 gallon Weizenbier after 7 days in the primary. I also gave it a little stir. Is that the right way to do it.

Generally no. Usually when you add extract you do it right before kegging or bottling. When i make my apricot wheat i mix it in with the priming sugar and then rack the beer on top of it.

I brewed an apricot pale ale and used 3 lbs of apricot halves packed in syrup that I pureed and added at secondary. At three weeks was young but tasty. As it sat the more like magic hat it tasted. The younger she was the more pronounced the apricot was. Everyone said it was very drinkable and finished thiers quickly lol

Back