"Apprenticeship" at Full Pint!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
I went out to visit some of the guys that I had been communicating with at Full Pint Brewery in Pgh today (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22854). Hung out with Jake while he finished up a batch, talked about a few things and promptly agreed to come out and help him brew this Monday. SOOOO effing excited...can't wait to learn the ins and outs on the big boy equipment.

Is this really an apprenticeship or just a hang out round the big boy equipment THAT I'M TOTALLY JEALOUS OF?

Either way, good for you man. Enjoy every minute

Is this really an apprenticeship or just a hang out round the big boy equipment THAT I'M TOTALLY JEALOUS OF?

Either way, good for you man. Enjoy every minute

I don't know to be honest...I threw the term around and we discussed specifics as far as length of time. I made it well known that I can only devote a certain amount of time to it due to the normal 9-5...according to the brewer I spoke to (who will remain nameless), as long as I keep coming back, he'll continue to teach me. As I left it...we both considered it an apprenticeship.

per werriam-webster:

"a : one bound by indenture to serve another for a prescribed period with a view to learning an art or trade b : one who is learning by practical experience under skilled workers a trade, art, or calling."

based on the above, I would say it an apprenticeship, but even if it's just a "hanging out, brewing beer on a large scale-ship", I'm still signing up!!!!

I was just kidding man. Point was, 99.9% of people on this page would be totally jealous that you're hanging out with an actual brewer, whether you're an actual "apprentice" or not.

It just doesnt matter.

P.S. send me some beer eh?

Funny though, cause I thought the same exact thing myself - but seriously, not kidding...I was sitting there talking about brewing and having all these conversations...then when I left I felt the need to debate the legitamacy of all of it...eff it, I'm just psyched to "go to work" on Monday

I've done what you are doing at 3 brewers now, about 7 days at one, just one at another and a couple at the third. I'll usually spend the day watching and helping or even doing a few jobs unsupervised like weighing and adding hops (they must trust me!)

I usually get a couple of beers or some grain to take home although I'm just there for experience.

It's hard work as I also have a full time job and am usually training (got a marathon next weekend) but it has paid off as the third brewery has offered me a job and am just waiting on details before I accept/decline.

So yeah, if you're after a brewing career and you don't have any brewing qualifications you're going the right direction. Also, if your home brew is good, take them some, it'll give you chance to show your knowledge (like how you added body, which hops you chose and yeast and why you fermented at x temp etc)

I don't know to be honest...I threw the term around and we discussed specifics as far as length of time. I made it well known that I can only devote a certain amount of time to it due to the normal 9-5...according to the brewer I spoke to (who will remain nameless), as long as I keep coming back, he'll continue to teach me. As I left it...we both considered it an apprenticeship.

per werriam-webster:

"a : one bound by indenture to serve another for a prescribed period with a view to learning an art or trade b : one who is learning by practical experience under skilled workers a trade, art, or calling."

based on the above, I would say it an apprenticeship, but even if it's just a "hanging out, brewing beer on a large scale-ship", I'm still signing up!!!!

The fact that you busted out the dictionary is awesome. It seems that it was not necessary but who cares, I love the follow through.

Good for you man,

Thats exactly how i got started off working in the brewing industry. I interned all through my sophomore year of college, and then was working a full time job and interning at the brewery one day a week, and eventually they called me up and offered me a full time spot.

So far i've just been cleaning stuff and helping with things like filtration, but i'm hoping to be brewing soon enough.

The fact that you busted out the dictionary is awesome. It seems that it was not necessary but who cares, I love the follow through.

ha, yeah...I was a little drunk when I posted that. As I was hanging around and chatting with the two brewers that were there, we got to tasting some of the brews and I ended up with a couple of growlers in my fridge. There's only one left today. ;)

I busted out the definition mostly just to confirm to myself that it was indeed an apprenticeship...probably not necessary to post it...

Good for you man,

Thats exactly how i got started off working in the brewing industry. I interned all through my sophomore year of college, and then was working a full time job and interning at the brewery one day a week, and eventually they called me up and offered me a full time spot.

So far i've just been cleaning stuff and helping with things like filtration, but i'm hoping to be brewing soon enough.

I see you're in Pittsburgh too...what brewery are you referring to above?

The Church Brew Works

Very cool...they have some solid beers.

Just finished up my first "day" at Full Pint...had to leave in the middle of a double batch brew day so my wife could use the car for Labor Day sales :rolleyes:

It was a blast. I got there around 8 AM, helped load the grain mill. Mashed in around 9 or so. Man, that is tough work!! It only took me about 5 mins to start sweating bullets. Spent then next few hours running all over the brewery - transferring beers from fermentors to bright tanks, cleaning/sanitizing fermentors, vorlaufing, adding hop additions, removing spent grains from the mash tun. I even got to sample some of the beers that he was getting ready to bottle and keg when he was checking for clarity.

He tried to send me home with some beer, but I refused. I didn't feel like I even put in a full day since I had to leave early. Can't wait to go back!!

And now I'm about 25 mins into my own mash at home. And I already have two adjustments that I'm gonna make to my process based on what I learned today.

I am SO addicted to this. :cross:

good job man, that's exactly how i got started in the industry years ago. Work hard and learn fast and good things will happen for you.

Very jealous, that's an awesome opportunity. I work nearly across the street...... I'll be stopping by for a growler fill tomorrow.

Back