appreciate your life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
No matter what your lot in life is, appreciate the fact that you are alive. It could all be gone before you even finish reading this message.

On Wednesday, August 23rd, I suffered a sub-arachnoid hemorrhage in my prefrontal cortex (that's part of the brain to you laymen). This is very similar to an aneurism, except that my chances of survival increased to 3 in 5 rather than 1 in 2. One second I was fine, and the next second I felt like someone had driven a spike through my head behind my eyes and then pulled it out. The son of a ***** kept doing that, too. In. Out. In. Out.

Being the macho man that I am, I waited 24 hours before I went to the emergency room.

I don't know where I am going with this message, but I know my point is to urge you to appreciate what you have, regardless od what it is. Hug your kids... don't let themm go. Chat with your neighbors/mailman/butcher. Don't let a day go by where you don't put your hands on your hips, breathe deep, and say, "God DAMN, it's a good day to be alive."

Feel free to have a beer while you're doing it, too.

I am luxky to be here. And so are you.

Holy sh*t, dude. Good to hear you're OK. Holy crap, I don't even know how to respond, other that to be thankful that you're OK. I'll head home early and hug my wife and daughter (and I should probably buy that life insurance, too).

Walker, Man, I don't even know what to say. Glad you're ok. And that's excellent life advice.

All the best to you. :rockin:

Ize

Know what you're saying. Last time I was in S.F. I told my friend Micheal he was the brother I wish I had grown up with ... he died on the drive back to Oakland.

Wow - glad to hear you were in the 3 group!

Stories like this always get to me - you really never know how long you've got!

glad to see your ok! if blg and i can help in any way just let us know.we are up your way about every weekend.

Spot on sentiment there Walker.

As one who has actually joked about your death when you've gone quite on here in the past I'm truely glad you're okay and back on board!!!!:mug:

I'm one of the laymen - Do they know what caused it???

Glad your still with us!!

Did you the doctors say if there was a cause to it or it just randomly happens?

Caplan said:
I'm one of the laymen - Do they know what caused it???

It was dumb luck that it ruptured, honestly, but they know exactly what I was doing to CAUSE it to happen.

I'm proud to say that it happened while I was sticking it to my wife. :)

Mind blowing sex almost killed me.

Nobody really wants to die, but if you were given a multiple choice, what would you chose:

I would like to die from:

(a) wood chipper accident
(b) polar bear attack
(c) sexual intercourse
(d) a combination of the above.

-walker

PS: Richard... you don't need to spread that part around the office.

Wow, just substitute "heart attack" and you're officially a Richard Pryor joke... ;)

Seriously man, glad you're still with us. :tank:

Ize

Walker-san - so very happy to hear you are OK. Small world - I had a very similar incident whilst in the shower 6 years ago, uh, well, while considering what something would be like with, uh, some girl I had seen and never met.......called the doc and was taking a ride on the MRI that afternoon. Diagnosis was high blood pressure and sinus infection - damn painful and scary nonetheless.

Lost 50 pounds and no more blood pressure meds.

Take good care of yourself and get back to brewing....

Skol!

It's good to hear that you are doing okay. That's kinda scary considering your age and that I'm only about 4 years younger than you.

And that's just about the best advice anyone could give on any board. I hope everything goes well.

I am very glad your good to go now too. This thread just reminded me of last October when I found out about the tumor and heart condition I had/have. Actually I'm going to a ruitine physical tomorrow, but am feeling all nervous. Very focused negativly actually.

Walker-san said:
It was dumb luck that it ruptured, honestly, but they know exactly what I was doing to CAUSE it to happen.

I'm proud to say that it happened while I was sticking it to my wife. :)

Mind blowing sex almost killed me.

Nobody really wants to die, but if you were given a multiple choice, what would you chose:

I would like to die from:

(a) wood chipper accident
(b) polar bear attack
(c) sexual intercourse
(d) a combination of the above.

-walker

PS: Richard... you don't need to spread that part around the office.

Good to see you back on board! Just let me know what story you DO want spread around... :D

Thats rough man. Glad to hear that your doing ok now. Take it easy next time, huh?;)

Hmm, glad your around. I REALLY don't want my Walker-San AG clone of your Kaduva IPA to be a tribute. Keep it a clone ehh?

Wow,

Close call, but I'm very happy to hear you're okay!

So now comes the hard part...

do you charge your wife with attempted murder? Intercourse with intent to kill?

To prevent this from ever happening again, I suggest you keep a picture of Rosie O'Donnell over your bed! This is sure to slow things down to a safe level in the sack!

welcome back and I hope things go well from here on out.

Walker-San,

This is why you aren't allowed to leave us... I started LMAO when I saw your new AV this morning...
:p

Hope all is well man,

Ize

Damn, Walker...take it easy. Remember, you're not saving any money by treating brain problems yourself.

A lady at my office recently died from an anneurism. You're very lucky.

SBN said:
Walker-san - so very happy to hear you are OK. Small world - I had a very similar incident whilst in the shower 6 years ago, uh, well, while considering what something would be like with, uh, some girl I had seen and never met.......

Skol!

Thought I was the only one who did that !

Walker- I had heard that you died. I understand now that those rumors were greatly exaggerated. Let this be a lesson to you. A younger woman will kill you every time. Glad to hear you're OK.

Damn man, sorry I'm late on this one. By the time I'd heard about it through the grapevine, we'd heard that you were out of the woods. I didn't notice your post until now.

Glad you're still with us, and I for one will take your advice to heart.

im just glad to know you are ok.. i didnt know anything about it until your recent post.. sailman and i are close if you need anything let us know we are up that way alot...

i know a couple years ago i have an episode of optic neuritis and of course thats not even close to being as serious..but i lost my vision and it scared the mess outta me..

just happy you are better!! i just lost my brother on july 1st and i have a total different appreciation for life

You know, I've always wanted to get that perspective on life that people like Lance Armstrong, Aron Ralston, and now Walker-san have, but I want to get it without going through the anguish or near-death experience. Actually, I've had some near-death experiences, but none of them really 'stuck'. I think I'd feel differently about it now that I'm married and expecting.

i just came back from my sisters' wedding yesterday. she had breast cancer a few years ago, and the cancer came back in her spine a few months ago. they had to remove a vertebrae, install a titanium one, and take one of her ribs out to put around her spine to help the titanium and bone to mend together. oh, and she's only 26 years old!!! she's doing great today, no problems at all. they said she may never walk again just 4 weeks ago and she left the hospital 4 days after the surgery. no therapy or anything.

it's folks like her and you that give me hope and make me smile. ya'll make me proud!

too bad she and her husband are straight edge and will never taste my homebrew or have a cigar with me. but our 85 year old grandmother was at the reception drinking whiskey and talking about how she smoked for 30 years...

anyways. yeah i cherish each day because who knows what could happen to you when you least expect it. like when you are bumping uglies or planning your wedding. fate can be an interesting mistress!

barrett

I've been off the boards for a while, and just read this post. Crikey Walker, that is a terrible thing you have been through (the aneurism, not the sex!). I'm really glad to hear you are okay man.

I was being a miserable bar-steward today, and reading your story has made me realise that life is too precious to be miserable.

Been doing my catch up reading since I have been off the board a while, and all I can say is daaaamn! I can definitely agree with the "enjoy life while you have it" perspective...I was in a bad car accident last december in a snow storm-guy ran a stop sign and slide out in front of me. I t-boned him then went down an embankment and flipped over into a stream. Being trapped in a car w/water rushing in is not fun. Seat belts and air bags are wonderful wonderful things, and prompted this from the first cop on the scene--"I can't believe the guy driving the truck isn't dead". That was me, and that was when it sank in.
Reading about your experience, I think that I got off easy, and I am very glad to hear that you are on the mend.

Back