apple pie cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zweasel

Reaction score
This is going to be my first attempt at making cider, I have been brewing beer for about two years, now going to try my hand at cider. I had some apple pie cider that was made with soft apple cider, Ever-clear, cinnamon, and a touch of vanilla. I’m not sure if that was or what else was in there. However, it tasted just like an apple pie in your glass. What I would like to do is make a batch of hard cider to taste just the same with out the Ever-clear. I was planning on using five gallons of unpasteurized apple cider, 1lbs brown sugar, two sticks of cinnamon, and one vanilla bean. The yeast, I’m not sure what one to use but from reading other post Nottingham seems the way to go. I guess what I need is your input and suggestions on what and how to do this. Also should I use campden tablets?

Well, I have waited for some suggestions or ideas from anyone however; the time has come to make the apple pie cider. The 5 gallons of apple cider is in the carboy with 1lb of brown sugar. I will let this ferment in a primary for about 4 weeks then transfer to secondary were I will add 2 sticks of cinnamon and one vanilla bean to age for about 6 months. At about three months I am thinking about maybe adding a few ounces of English toasted wood chips for a hint of the cask aged taste. I will add to the post as it goes maybe even a few pics.

Well, I haven't made too much cider but what I have usually lacks the flavor of the commercial brands. Before bottling, I reccommend you taste it to see if you need to add some frozen concentrate to make it taste better.

Good luck!

Back