Apple Pie Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MizzouBrewer

Reaction score
Anyone have a good variation on EdWort's Apfelwein aimed towards the fall season? I was thinking maybe apple pie spice or Cinnamon in there.

That's a fantastic idea. In fact, I shall brew a cinnamon version at the weekend! :)

if i was going to do this i would use a recipt with more body i would make a cider not a wine!

the Apfelwein altho good is super thin , as its suppsot to be, ever heard of spiced wine?

if you want to add spice i would use an (english ale ) or hefe yeast and sub the dextros for ligh or amber DME

from my exp , here is what i know, fermented apple juice is called Cider aside from one type of super dry german cider made in one small region in germany. Unless you are make that you are makeing cider. there is lots of types out there and lots of good information and trial and error, if you want to experiment be my guest, however
if you want to make a spiced apple cider (this has been done 1000s of times) i would use some malt to add more body, if you want make it dryer add some dextrose or honey thay dont have protins or dextrins so thay only add alcohol and that = dryer.
also i would not use the montserrat yeast i think that would be a horrible pick.

so at this point , you have something nothing like an Apfelwein, so you should not use it as a refrence point , as EdWort has said him self inregards to other cider ideas refencing apfelwien "that sounds good but its not an apfelwien".

as for the yeast i whould use a hefeweizen yeast or english ale yeast.
please read these two threads to see some of the trial and error wizdom
in this subject
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/best-cider-ever-113431/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/better-than-apfelwein-29003/

Back