Apple pie ale advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

figgnewton

Reaction score
My next beer that I will be brewing I want to taste like apple pie. My main concern is best way to get a good apple flavor. I was thinking I add 4 cans of apple concentrate at flameout and some extract to taste at bottling time. Would this be a good idea or does anyone have better ideas that they have used for an apple beer?

I have made a sour apple beer and used chopped up (and sanitized by dipping on vodka) apples with a good apple flavor.
I don't see why your plan wouldn't work. Much of the flavor from concentrate, though, could be blown off by CO2 during fermentation. Having extract to compensate at bottling is a good idea.
You might also consider some cinnamon and vanilla to enhance the apple flavor and to get some flavor of pie crust.

This was in this month's issue of BYO. Hope it helps.

IMG_0565.jpg

Instead of using whole apples, I wonder about using apple sauce...

I'm doing my Holiday Apple Ale now. It's still in primary, but I'm going to make my own apple puree by blending organic apple juice with 2kgs of apples, heating to pasteurize, and racking my beer on top of it. I did this last year with decent success.

I second pdxal's avice, add some cinnamon or even some nutmeg.

was trying to get that apple pie taste so definitely adding nutmeg and cinnamon. I didn't even think to add vanilla but I think that is a good idea and wouldn't hurt. I wonder too about apple sauce that could be interesting but may also be tricky to filter

Vanilla mimics the taste of crust.
Applesauce would make it impossible to bottle or keg clear beer, I imagine. Chunks extracted flavor and aroma without that problem.

Vanilla mimics the taste of crust.
Applesauce would make it impossible to bottle or keg clear beer, I imagine. Chunks extracted flavor and aroma without that problem.

I think it would settle out fine. My thinking is you would need a lot less and wouldn't have to mess with cutting apples. The bigger problem probably would be it all sinking before adequate contact time.

in the recipe the FG are 1.032, how to stop the fermentation?
also what is the best whey to handle the apple in the secondary?

in the recipe the FG are 1.032, how to stop the fermentation?
also what is the best whey to handle the apple in the secondary?

With my recipe I just used 4 cans of apple concentrate. The final product came out pretty good but could have used just a bit more apple flavor. I added the concentrate to primary, next time I would just add it after a week or so instead. If you go by the BYO recipe mentioned I would suggest just cutting the apple up like you would for an apple pie and just place in a grain bag.

tried my first "Not Your Mom's Apple Pie" ale yesterday...loved it. Anyone have this recipe perfected yet?

For my apple ale, I use apple juice for 2/3 of the liquid (instead of water). You could try brewing with 100% apple juice if you wanted. No need to dork around with extracts, sauce, or concentrates.

I know this is late to the game.... I was inspired by a beer from Breaker Brewing in PA called Amish Apple Pie Ale..... I chose to make a Hazy IIPA....then I added to the 10 gallon batch 10 lbs of pippens apples that were baked with 2 lbs of turbinado sugar at about day 3 of fermentation. I also added a tinture made with vanilla beans and cinnamon. At kegging, I was disappointed to find that the beer was slightly tannic and lacked the flavor profile I wanted... I then mixed a 1/2 gallon of fresh apple cider with 2 tbls vanilla extract and 1/2 tsp cinnamon then split that between the 2 kegs. The sweetness of the cider hid the tannic and brought back the apple pie flavor I wanted. First keg was gone in a week. It's become a hit with friends (even with the bits of cinnamon floating in the glasses) !

Back