Apple Juice on Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicratlhead51

Reaction score
I was kind of monkeying around with beersmith and had wanted to make cider recipes but there isn't really an option for substituting water with juice. So I checked the label of the juice bottle to see how much sugar was in a serving of Meijer brand apple juice and it was 21g per 8oz serving. I multiplied that by 16 to get 336gm/gallon. then just converted the gm to pounds which was .74lb/gal. I multiplied that by 5 to get 3.7lb. of sugar per 5gal batch. Now that I have that I just plugged it into my recipe as table sugar. I know the gravities aren't going to be perfect but it will at least give me a good idea of the fermentables that will be in my recipe.

I was kind of curious as to whether anyone saw any mistakes in my process. Would a different sugar be a more appropriate sugar?

I did a search and read through a few threads and never really came across any good infor for plugging juice into Beersmith, any better suggestions than just doing what I did?

I plugged apple juice into beersmith as an extract. I measured the OG of a known volume then adjusted the potential yield of the extract until it matched the OG I measured. This way is nice because you will end up with the correct volume if you use beersmith to calculate volumes.

Uhhhh. Put apple juice in testing tube ... Insert hydrometer ... Take reading ...

Might also want to correct for temp, but just a thought

What Beersmith category would it be best to add "Apple Juice" to? Misc? Extract?

Back