Apple Crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
Myself and a beer brewing buddy crushed 1 ton of apples yesterday, to be precise Pippen and Granny's. We started at 9 am and didn't finish until 9 pm. 80 gal of hard cider is on the way, yes I said 80. I am tired--- We put 16 5 gal glass carboys to use and pitched 3 gals worth of yeast. Can you say blow of tubes! We messed with most of them adding anything from brown sugar to honey and cinnamon to regular cane sugar . Should be very interesting. Will keep you guys posted. time for sleep.....:cross: :ban: :tank: :drunk:

WOW

80 gallons of cider?!

what you going to do with all of it? got a license?

My buddy is a farmer, so we just spent 5 hours picking, and no we have no license, just going to cellar and enjoy through the holidays. Bottling in Champagne bottles, and splitting it between ourselves for family enjoyment. FWIW the OG of the apple juice was 1.060 on the nose straight out of the press.

gabe said:
80 gal of hard cider is on the way, yes I said 80.

*gritted teeth* Well done mate!!!! I'm not jealous......

(okay.... I am! :D)

Seriously though that's good going - It's also a lot of champagne bottles!!! Well done - report back soon :)

Update, well 1 out of sixteen blew it's top. So I guess thats ok. Sounds like a war in the barn. Air locks a bubblin away. As far as bottling Cooks Champagne is the way to go. We will let these go 1 month and check the gravity. Any thought on how this stuff would keg? As far as how many Volumes to put on it? Cheers to all.

I keg everything, including ciders. I like a little fizz in my ciders, so they go on at 12 psi @ 40F. Sounds like you go for more bubbles than I do.

Let me know when its ready, I'll be more than happy to sample all and give my opinion once I come to from the alcohol induced cider coma. Any specifics on yeast, fermentation time etc.? I'm a little embarassed to even post considering i just started my first ever whopping 3gal batch. Smells like rancid pig vomit right now...hope thats normal.

Not sure on the Rancid pig vomit....... but my buddy made the 3 gal starter and pitched the yeast. It's now sitting in the barn in central CA at roughly 48 deg . Just waiting patiently now. Will sample soon. OG was 1.060 and that's all juice.

Update! Sampled a taste. WOWWWW. less than 1 month and tasting great. Been raiding bars for their bottles. Good news, girls love hard apple cider........

Gabe,

I'm visiting my sister in Santa Cruz in a couple of weeks and she promised to brew a batch of cider with me that we can enjoy when I visit her next. Any suggestions for local pressed cider in the area? I've only used store bought juice so far and am looking forward to making and sampling some cider made from different varieties. I'm a total newbie at this point, been brewing beer and cider since February. I like cider, but have a juice supply problem here in Houston, no apple trees for miles and miles.

Michael

Michael , sorry it took so long to reply. Your'e here and long gone by now and I feel bad that I failed to represent my area. Try Gizdich Ranch on Google, they are local and produce a great juice for such a small operation. Youre sister could get you some if she knows the area well. I think they will ship too. Good luck and hope you had a good visit. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back