Apple Cider Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyeBrewer

Reaction score
I am currently trying my first few batches of hard cider. It has gone I through its primary fermentation and is now conditioning in a secondary. It is just a couple 1 gallon batches, nothing too big. Now my question is this; I would like the add a cinnamon stick to add some fresh flavor. Is this a good idea? If so should I add it now? Or wait and bottle it with a cinnamon stick? Also for my next batch I was considering adding a couple cinnamon sticks to my initial primary fermentation. Do you think this would turn out good or will it just be a waste? Any advise would be appreciated thanks!

I have made several different versions of Graff cider and usually add 1 cinnamon stick during last 5 min of boil and 1 after primary fermentation completes(I let it sit in the secondary for about 3 days and then keg). IMO, gives just the right amount of cinnamon kick. In your case I would go ahead and add 2 sticks for a few days after primary fermentation completes.

I bottled mine with 1/3rd of a stick of cinnamon and about a teaspoon of ground cinnamon

Also a you familiar with back sweetening? When I transferred this batch I was concerned that it was extremely dry, albeit strong, and was wondering what it takes to bring up a little sweetness to it.

Back