apple cider arrived already fermenting - help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
a friend decided to ship me some apple cider (5 gallons) to allow me to try making hard cider. When I finally recieved it (I was out of town for a couple of days) it was already fermenting in the container. Another day and I think it would have exploded!!!

I popped it in my carboy and added some campden tablets (1 per gallon). 12 hours later it was bubbling away again! I was not sure what to do and threw another 3 tablets in.

Should i just let it ride with the wild yeast if it starts bubbling again?
Or, add the provided yeast with the wild?
Or chuck in bin :( ?

This assuming the fermenting should stop when you add campden tabs ... and that it will be bubbling again soon.

Thanks

You have a good start on a wild yeast cider. At this point you have nothing to lose by letting it ride and see what turns out. You possible could make a strong yeast starter and overpower the wild yeast with you "tame" yeasties but I doubt it.

I just had another look and it is roaring again!

I forgot to mention that I added 4 pounds of dextrose to the bubbling cider before I added the tabs.

I usually prefer naturally fermented cider, the only downside is that if you don't drink it fast enough it can easily and quickly become vinegar (even if this happens, don't throw it out, real cider vinegar rocks for cooking).

i have done many natural yeast ciders, and mine never go to vinegar (furiously knocking on wood), yours won't either if you are careful not to aerate after fermenting. i suggest you let it ferment until it's completely done (still take an OG reading asap) during which time you do absolutely nothing to it for a few months, rack it once to a vessel (or vessels) leaving very little headspace in the carboy and let it clear, again this could be a few months, leave it longer here to bulk age if you like, then bottle; it will probably be very dry and will definitely improve with age

Back