Apple blend suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyWino

Reaction score
Although I missed the apple season last year, I would like to do everything I can to be prepared for this one :)

I am lucky enough to live within 30 minutes of a small apple growing region called "Apple Hill" (imaginative I know :)) that grows a wide range of different apples. I am going to contact a couple of the growers to see if they have any kind of "cider makers blend" already put together but I would also like to tap into the experience of the folks here if possible.

I found this guide to the types of apples that are grown at the various ranches and I was hoping to get some guidance as to which apples to avoid altogether, which make good blends, etc

Cheers

HW

I emailed a couple of growers and one responded already with this...

I try to stay with 60-65 % tart apple and the balance sweet apples.
This time of year our apples are a little on the tried side, but the cider is still very good.
August we start making fresh apple cider with new crop apples, which is Gravenstein and Gingergold, a excellent blend for cider.

Even though the apples they have right now are as he says "a little on the tired side" I have to think that it will be WAY better than the stuff I can buy in the supermarket at this time of year, so I have to confess to being more that a little excited that I can get some experimentation going from fresh juice in the near future:D

Does anybody have any thoughts on his assertion that Gravenstein and Gingergold make a good cider blend?

Cheers

HW

I would not put in more than 20% of Macintosh or red or gold delicious or anything similar, I also don't put more than 10 - 15% of granny smith.

The more kind of apples you can put in the mix the the better I say. It looks like you have lots of choices. Shop around and get a good deal. Get lots of carboys cuz cider only comes round once a year.

Pink Lady is one that I see on your list that makes a consistently good base apple. I like to mix about 33 to 50 percent of a "base" apple, ie an apple that has almost enough sugar, acid and flavor to almost carry the cider on its own.

Usually another 20 to 33 percent or so for flavor/aroma apples like Fuji, Gala, Macs and Empires. They are not great base apples by themselves, but they are good in a mix. Rome tastes great but has a lot of pectin and clears slow.

You have a good choice of tart apples. My order of preference would be Pippin, Winesap, Jonathan, Granny Smith. I usually mix no more than 1/3 tart apples, but might go higher for Pippin or Winesap

cox orange pippin is a great all-rounder for me, i often mix with elstar (fairly sweet) and a few granny smiths if i want extra tartness. agree on pink lady also but i have only used it once

Just got a note from them that their current blend is "Granny Smith, Golden Delicious and Fuji" not sure on the proportions though. They did say that it is unpasteurized.

I may just have to go get me some gallons this weekend :)

Cheers

HW

That is very interesting, I was thinking of doing a cider with 2 parts Golden Delicious, 2 parts Fuji, and 1 part Granny Smith. Let us know what you end up using.

Latest posts

Back