Apfelwein..Top 5 things I learned...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomadic_Joel

Reaction score
Thoughts on what I learned first time around. I am completely new, and this was my first brew of anything...

(Apfelvein. 1 Gallon. IG-1.070.)

1) Indeed...fill it all the way to the top...dont worry about foam, explosions, or huge kressen. ( I wasted a good 4 inches) :(

2) Put your bung in dry...err.. I thought for sure to get a snug fit to wet the bung, but after reading...and testing...dry is the way to go.

3) No freaking airlock for the first 24-48 hours....yeasties need air to get down to making babies. Cover with sanitized tinfoil.

4) The glass 1 gallon jugs for cider work great...and your local store may give them to you for free...I have 5 now for my first mead experiments.

5) "room temperature" varies greatly from place-to-place...culture -to-culture. I bought a 5 dollar digital thermometer...it took tons of stress away. (A Californian telling me..(the Canadian) "dont worry just room temperature...just does not work all the time.

That's it..hope this helps other people, or at least you can laugh at my quirky mistakes!

JB.

Thanks Steve...mine was super calm. Interesting. Perhaps an Ottawa thing? :)
Jokes..no that's great for everyone to know. Perhaps it was because I did 1 gallon jugs...much less then a huge carboy..no idea.

Kanadier Apfelwein thread!

I just started a very small batch of Apfelwein this evening, about 1100mL :D

I bought a 1.36L jug of Graves Apple Juice, poured a bit off the top, added two ounces of dextrose (OG 1.060), aerated, pitched a packet of Lalvin EC-1118 and air locked it. I'm only making enough to fill a wine bottle. Why so little you might ask? It's what I had left over from the batch I started 3 weeks ago and I thought it would make a nice Christmas present for my uncle.

Despite not using the tinfoil method for this batch I did use it for my 19L batch of hard cider and I believe it's a good idea. I figured I'd just leave this little project at my mother's house and I can't really trust her to switch the tinfoil for an airlock in a couple days time without risking infection. I definitely over-pitched anyways ha ha. Pics later.

I am loving these one gallon FREE cider jugs. I let rich yuppies buy the expensive cider, then I go to the store and steal the jugs! I have 5 now, which I will use to perfect a mead recipe that I like...and then replicate at 5 gallon later.

SO far I like the Lalvin 1118...we shall see after the taste test.

J

I've heard yuppies is term used by broke un-motivated folk to reference successful folk.

Just a thought.

My Small batch

1G Adam & Eve Apple juice
6.4 oz. Corn Sugar
1 gram Red Star

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR0I5O3_bfE]YouTube - Airlock[/ame]

Yay Bubbles in my Virgin Brew... Pop... Edworts Apfelwein less that 24 hours after putting the airlock (even the puppy likes watching)

That's pretty cool virus! I'm always super-stoked to start a new batch myself, which is probably why I've started a small batch within the last week ha ha.

I find that yuppies tend to be the people who cut you off driving their kid to soccer practice because they are on the phone. They are always in a hurry and ready to get all up in your business. They also have no problem being hypocritical.

Back